The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:48:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28019 Posts in 5139 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Hardware Discussions
| | |-+  Field Storage & Reliability
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Field Storage & Reliability  (Read 1092 times)
DrewFulton

View Profile Email
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:04:47 AM »

Hey Folks,

I'm in the early stages of planning a new video project where my storage requirements are going to be enormous (500GB - 1TB per day).  This in itself isn't that difficult (money not withstanding) but I will be working in extremely remote places where conditions for electronics aren't going to be great.  I am trying to figure out the best way to manage this media and store it while in the field.  Keep in mind that I probably will be running on generator power much of the time.  My ideas so far...

1) A bunch of bare 2.5" drives stored in Pelican Cases.  They live in a case, they come out to transfer and they go back in the case.  Figure they are 1TB drives so basically I access 1 Drive a day (well 2 for mirroring).  These will sit in an enclosure for downloading (part of the transfer system I will be using).  One advantage here is I will be going eSATA to eSATA to transfers will be fast and I can pretty much say 1 Drive per day.

2)  Something like the LaCie Ruggeds or another small bus powered FW800 drive.  These are pricier and I'm not sure if the Rugged encasing is all that useful compared to a Pelican case for the bare drives.  FW800 will be slower as my reader will be eSATA but I can still say basically a 1TB drive per day (mirrored of course). 

When I return from the field, all video will be transferred to two mirrored 3TB 3.5" drives which will then be stored separately and in Pelican Hard Drive cases.  I also will probably do a LTO-5 backup as well.  I then will reuse the field drives for my next trip.  What is scary is that I could be generating like 40-50 TB of data per trip.  That is beyond the point here though.  What would you as field storage?

Thanks,
Drew
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: