The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 06:34:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Aperture
| | |-+  Exporting Ratings to DNG
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Exporting Ratings to DNG  (Read 9400 times)
braver

View Profile Email
« on: October 09, 2011, 02:35:41 AM »

In keeping with Peter's great idea of using DNG as a self-contained bundle of metadata+RAW, I'm playing with Aperture 3 to see how I can integrate it into a workflow with DNG.  The main need here is to sync the metadata out of Aperture to DNG and back.

I've tried using a menu item "Write IPTC Data to Master", and then sync it to Media Pro to see the change.  When I adjust the rating in Aperture, write the metadata to master, and then sync to Media Pro, I see no change in the ratings.  In various Aperture presets, you can check "Rating" which is not checked by default.  Did anybody succeed in the above scenario, and what would it take to export the Aperture rating into the original DNG?

Cheers,
Alexy
braver

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 12:06:31 PM »

OK -- the problem was with my EXIF viewer, Media Pro.  When I checked the DNGs in Adobe Bridge, I see the ratings are in fact exported from Aperture via the Metadata=>Write IPTC Metadata to Master.  Keep in kind that I found all possivle "IPTC presets" dialogues and checked Rating and Label checkboxes in them, so I'm not sure it will work out of the box.

Now there's a great rating workflow with DNG=>Lightroom AND Aperture=>iPad rating=>Aperture=>DNG=>Lightroom.

Still have to understand why didn't Media Pro, for the upgrade to which I've just paid 60 bucks, doesn't see the ratings which the Bridge can see all right.
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »

I switched from Expression Media to Lightroom a few versions back.  I think this is still true but not positive.  I seem to recall that Expression Media used the "priority" or "urgency" field to record ratings.  I could select all two star images for example in Bridge and set the priority field to the proper number (two?) and then ratings would show in Expression Media.  (Maybe I'm confusing labels and ratings?  Its been a while.  I know EM used "Priority" for one of them)

Experiment with that idea and I think you'll find your answer.

Bob Smith
braver

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 01:41:34 PM »

The whole idea of my workflow is to be able to do rating, key wording, labeling, etc., anywhere, sync back to DNG, and update from there.  Until Media Pro does it as well as Aperture, Lightroom, and others, it's fairly cumbersome to use it.  If I were using it for its own sake I might've gone through some such dance, but the whole idea is ease of use and ubiquity.  Let's see how Phase One carries forward.

Alexy
msbc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 10:11:32 PM »

Alexy,

I hope you logged a support request with Phase so that they know about the issue?

Mark

- Mark
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: