The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 11:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  What are the changes in Media pro?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What are the changes in Media pro?  (Read 1277 times)
FrancisVachon

View Profile Email
« on: October 08, 2011, 05:51:39 AM »

Are the changes in Media Pro (from Expression Media) only cosmetic at this point? I don't see any "what's new" list. Should I upgrade now or wait for the next version?

-Francis
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:15:12 PM »

I can not speak for version 1.1 because it's just out but you can find a lot experiences with version 1 and 1.01 on this forum and the Phase One user forum you can find a lot of information about the differences between both (http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewforum.php?f=43
The releasenotes of Media Pro 1.1. can be found here: http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/Media-Pro.aspx.

Media Pro (MP1) is very similar to Expression Media (EM2) but there are some differences. Some important ones:
1. The 1.8 Gb database size limit of EM2 does not exist in MP1 anymore. this means that you can make bigger catalogs instead of more smaller ones.
2. The 128.000 media files limit does still exists, no difference there
3. GUI is very dark with (to?) little contrast
4. Media Rendering issues in MP1, this seems to be resolved in version 1.1 (hopefully it's more stabile and much faster)
5. Missing files could be found in EM2 but not in MP1
6. No sort on base of a criterium in MP1 like it could in EM2
7. GEO locating in MP1 is not a real alternative from the GEO locating mechanism in EM2 (very disappointing for me)
8. MP1 is always generating XMP sidecare files, not only when you want to like in EM2
9. No local versions anymore (german, french)
10. No multi screen support anymore
11. No previews anymore when working with color profiles
12. The organize/info buttons are much smaller in MP1 then they were in EM2
13. The catalogs created in EM2 must be migrated to a new format in MP1. With a few cataogs this is no problem but it can be a problem with a lot of catalogs.

My conclusion (for now) is that MP1 has only one advantage (point 1) and at least 12 disadvantages so i'm still working with Expression Media. However i wil try the new MP 1.1. version out of course

Roelof
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: