The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 08:40:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  hash database - Windows to Mac migration
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: hash database - Windows to Mac migration  (Read 2093 times)
Jorge del Valle

View Profile Email
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:39:30 AM »

I just bought Imageingester & Imageverifier and have started to run IV through my entire catalog. Since I'm restructuring my entire collection it seems like a good moment to generate hashes for all my files and then do fresh backups to HD and DVD. I like the idea to be able to run IV periodically on the backed up buckets and have a high degree of confidence that my files are still ok.

But one concern has raised due to the fact that I'll probably be migrating from Windows to Mac in a year or two. Since the hash database gets saved separately by IV, will I be able to easily migrate it from one platform to the other? Otherwise I would have to run II on all my images after moving them to the Mac, which would take a really long time. And unless I'm mistaken it would require me to visually check all my photos to make sure they are ok, which would take an even longer time.

Since the hash database is a sqlite file I imagine it's just a matter of installing II on the Mac and then overwriting the default database file with the one from my Windows machine. Am I correct in assuming this?

--
Jorge

Jorge del Valle
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 02:47:50 PM »

Yes.

"... it's just a matter of installing II on the Mac and then overwriting the default database file with the one from my Windows machine..."

Make sure ImageVerifier isn't running when you do this, and do it before you accumulate any hashes on the new machine.

--Marc

Jorge del Valle

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:16:11 PM »

Sounds good. Thanks for confirming this Marc.

--
Jorge

Jorge del Valle
Jorge del Valle

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 05:40:58 AM »

I realize I'm resurrecting a thread that it's almost a year old now, but I wanted to get back to it since I just did the Windows to Mac migration I wrote about in my initial post. Turns out I haven't been able to make the migration work even after following Marc's directions (and the ImageIngester/ImageVerifier manual) to the best of my knowledge. Here's what I did:

• I copied the ImageVerifier and ImageIngesterPro folders from my Windows 7 laptop (C:\Users\Jorge\AppData\Roaming) to my Macbook Pro (/Users/Jorge/Library)
  • I started up IV and chose a folder of images for which I know I have created hashes in IV before on the Windows side, and I run IV on the folder with Check Hash ticked on.

For every image in the folder I got a "no hash stored error". Any ideas?

I'm running OS X 10.8 (Mountian Lion).

Cheers.

--
Jorge

Jorge del Valle
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 08:51:39 AM »

The problem may be that the file times, as stored by the file system, have changed. To check this out, it's best to run experiments with just one or two files.

--Marc

Jorge del Valle

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 10:41:48 AM »

The problem may be that the file times, as stored by the file system, have changed. To check this out, it's best to run experiments with just one or two files.

--Marc

Hey Marc. Sorry, I'm not sure what would be a proper way of testing. Could I get a bit more detailed instructions on how to go about doing it?

--
Jorge

Jorge del Valle
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: