The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 02:39:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Need guidance creating PARTIAL bootable clone.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need guidance creating PARTIAL bootable clone.  (Read 2243 times)
bcarlson

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:06:17 PM »

I have spent days trying to figure this out to no avail. Please help me. My small, feeble mind can not take it anymore.

I am a single laptop user. I am setting up a system like the one on pg. 239. My question is this: how do I create a partial bootable clone using Carbon Copy Cloner? I have looked all over the internet and can't seem to figure it out. All the information I read is about making a full clone of the drive.

I am using a ToughTech Q from WiebeTech to put the partial bootable clone on. I called and they said it should support a bootable clone, if it doesn't there is a minor adjustment I have to make.

Thanks in advance for your time
Brian

Mary

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »

I am on the same level of expertise as you (i.e. it all makes my eyes glaze over :Smiley) -- migrating to the same off-the main-computer photo storage system. 

I talked to a very savvy LaCie technician who advised against making one partition of my new, large drive "bootable"  Something about the fact that the computer might not automatically know which partition to reference on start up.  In any case, since most of what's on my computer are small files now, I'm going to make the bootable drive out of one of my decommissioned smaller drives (a 250 gB LaCie). 

Let me know what you find out!

Mary

Using MacBook Pro, Snow Leopard, and Lightroom.
bcarlson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 07:11:43 AM »

Mary

When I started up my computer it showed the partition where the bootable drive was, it's just that the bootable drive didn't work. So are you just making an exact clone of your drive on that decommissioned backup? I would just rather not do that if I don't have to. What I'm thinking is I'd like to put my bootable backup on a partition on a drive and use the rest of drive as my backup when I'm traveling and shooting. Make sense?

B
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: