The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 04:14:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Lightroom keywords/metadata lost.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lightroom keywords/metadata lost.  (Read 2946 times)
sullins

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 07, 2011, 07:35:36 AM »

After entering metadata in Lightroom and uploading files to the clients server, metadata is lost. It has happened several times. I have to open Bridge to enter keywords/metadata to make it stick through the upload.
Anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks

Sullins
Jorge del Valle

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »

Hello Sullins.

Are you syncing the metadata to the files, either automatically or manually? By default Lightroom keeps the metadata in the catalog and does not sync it to the files unless you manually "tell it to". To sync the information to the files select the ones you want to send and press Ctrl+S (Windows) or Command+S (Mac OS). Also, unless you are using a file format like DNG, which stores the metadata in the image file itself, the metadata will be written to a sidecar XMP file. If you want your client to have access to the metadata you will have to send the XMP files along with you image files.

You could also make Lightroom automatically write the changes to the XMP (or DNG) files by going to Edit > Catalog Settings (Windows) or Lightroom > Catalog Settings (Mac OS). Once there click the Metadata tab and enable Automatically write changes to XMP. But I don't recommend doing that as every time you make a minor change Lightroom will write it to the file, which will make it slower, but more importantly will increase the danger of file corruption since you will be rewriting the file over and over. If I remember correctly Peter also recommends keeping that option disabled in The DAM Book.

If you already know all this and are writing the metadata to your files I'm not sure what the problem can be. I hope this is helpful.

--
Jorge

PS: By the way, it's a forum rule to sign posts with our real names.

Jorge del Valle
Jorge del Valle

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 09:35:32 AM »

Of course, if Sullins IS your real name I apologise.  Smiley

Jorge del Valle
sullins

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 05:43:30 PM »

thank you
Yes, it's been my real name all my live.

Sullins
sullins

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »

Jorge
Although I wouldn't change from LR, it appears that Bridge puts the metadata in the file? These are tiffs.
Thanks
Ken

Sullins
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: