The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:18:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28019 Posts in 5139 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Online backup service?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Online backup service?  (Read 2618 times)
juliekubal

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 27, 2011, 06:45:28 AM »

Has anyone heard of or is anyone using the online backup service Backblaze? It only$5/month for unlimited storage, which seems too good to be true. I wonder what would be the maximum practical amount of data to store this way. I'm thinking of using this for a secondary working files backup/
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 09:01:10 AM »

Julie,

I looked at some of these services about a year ago and realised that for the amount of data I have they just weren't practical.  My image files are approaching the 2TB mark.  My internet connection has a slow upload speed, significantly slower than the download speed.  If I was lucky then uploading about 8GB per day might be possible.  Therefore it would take nearly 9 months, assuming I stopped taking any more images.  I took almost 9GB of new images on Saturday and am shooting tonight and expect to take maybe 3GB more.  That's another day and a bit of uploading.  Long before that would complete I would get emails from my ISP warning me about overload their systems.

Assuming I'd got everything uploaded and my storage went pear-shaped it would then take me around a month to download everything back - plus more warning emails!

So unless your data volume is significantly less or you have a much fast internet connection than I do the practicalities of it might just rule it out.

There was one service that allowed you to send in a hard drive as a starting position which would get you up and running a lot quicker.

I've just found the following link which is a review of various online backup providers.  It's a couple of years old and written from a Mac perspective but does plenty of good advice.  It does mention Backblaze so the fact they are still around now is good news - http://www.macworld.com/article/142606/2009/09/online_backup.html

Ian
juliekubal

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:55:41 PM »

Ian,

Thanks for the detailed response. I'll check out the article. I think I'll check out the Backblaze trial to test how long it takes to upload files and if it's faster than I anticipate, I'll post an update here.

-Julie
Niall Horley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »

I am currently using SugarSync for an online backup solution. I have not backed up my complete set of photos only those from the previous few months. This keeps the volume down for me, although I only shoot about 20Gig a year. Using SugarSync allows me to get my photos backed up offsite as quickly as possible with out me remembering to do anythink.

Niall

Niall Horley
www.lifeatf8.co.uk
Mary

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »

How long does it take you to upload? What kind of files are you storing there (tiff, raw or just jpegs)?--Mary

Using MacBook Pro, Snow Leopard, and Lightroom.
Niall Horley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 06:58:21 AM »

I am storing the raw files up there along with my catalog, they can take up to a day to upload, it all depends how much I shoot. I just find it reassuring that the files are off site quickly.

Niall

Niall Horley
www.lifeatf8.co.uk
Mary

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 07:52:14 AM »

Wow..a whole day. Sounds like too long for me to wait... But thanks for info.   - Mary

Using MacBook Pro, Snow Leopard, and Lightroom.
Niall Horley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 08:40:24 AM »

A day is for about 500 photos. I do not wait, I know that they are being transfered in the background while I do other things.

Niall

Niall Horley
www.lifeatf8.co.uk
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: