The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 11:15:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Migration Issues
| | |-+  implementing bucket system on existing lightroom catalogue
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: implementing bucket system on existing lightroom catalogue  (Read 6064 times)
Mathew Farrell

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 18, 2011, 07:35:37 AM »

Apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere. After a load of searching I'm bleary-eyed and empty handed.

I have a ~20k image library, stored in folders that correlate to Month Shot. Most files are RAW (NEF for what it's worth). I'm now using LR as my complete DAM package and have a lot of sorting work worth preserving.
Despite any possible shortcomings with LR compared with other software, the simplicity of one piece of software really appeals, as does the idea of keeping the whole library in a single catalogue rather than any sort of legacy, archive, working breakdown.

I'm just about to covert all camera proprietary raw files to DNG, and would then like to re-order the folder structure to adopt DVD-sized buckets for easy backup to DVD. Then I'll do archival backup of those buckets to DVD.

I've finally found LR's built-in function to replace RAW with DNG (awesome! That solves a whole bunch of problems). My next unsolved issue is how best to re-sort the folders, obviously so LR can keep up or re-map. Are there any snazzy plug-ins or hot tips on automating this?

Any direct help, or holes unearthed in this process would be greatly appreciated.

Mat

Mathew Farrell
Flowstate Photography
photography.flowstate.com.au
Matt Limb OBE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 03:12:52 AM »

Mat

Ensure you build all your new folder structure, once you have changed to .DNG, within LR; then LR will find the folders and your 'new' folders - I had a similar issue a few ysers ago and did the 'new folder buiding' in windows then LR could not find the images.

-----------------------------------------
Matt Limb OBE
www.mlimages.co.uk
Mathew Farrell

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »

Hi Matt

Thanks for the advice. I haven't yet had to do any file moving from within LR, but I've already figured that it's a bit of a bear to re-link files that are moved externally to LR. It sounds like they're a bit of a cow to move from within - not as big and gnarly as a bear, but still awkward.

The DNG conversion seemed work flawlessly. I left my macbook Pro alone for 24 hours or so. So far all seems well with the library.

One bit of workflow automation or simplification I haven't yet worked out is how best to keep the buckets to size (DVD size in my case). For example, I'm moving files effectively one at a time until I reach ~4.7Gb. Neither LR or Mac OS seem very good at keeping you informed of folder sizes, so it seems like it's going to be a pretty manually intensive job of keeping an eye on the folder sizes until it's time to move on to the next one. If I were doing this outside of LR, I'd use my windows machine for sure. All the Mac vs Windows guff aside, the Windows Explorer environment seems to me much easier and transparent for moving files around.

Organising folders by time (months in my case) seemed much easier for workflow and finding images outside of DAM software, but clearly doesn't integrate so well with DVD backup.

This 'problem' exists not only for this migration, but for future shooting and uploading, especially as I'm no longer using 4Gb cards.

Any guidance on this (or 'refer to section X of Peter's book) would be appreciated.

Mathew Farrell
Flowstate Photography
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:12:31 PM »

For checking the size of folders, look up my FolderSize plug-in http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/lightroom/foldersize/

And yes, do all your file moving inside Lightroom - much easier than re-linking.

John
Mathew Farrell

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:15:28 AM »

Thanks John.

I presume that even with your plug-in, it's still a pretty manually intensive job?

Mathew Farrell
Flowstate Photography
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: