The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 10:02:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Hardware Discussions
| | |-+  Hard Drive Shopping
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hard Drive Shopping  (Read 1364 times)
Mary

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2011, 06:48:16 AM »

Does anyone have any recommendations for an external hard drive? I've been using 2 backup up drives for archived files in addition to my laptop "primary" and, of course, DVD backup.  However, I'm about to move those archived files off the computer permanently.  And I realize I need at least a terabyte or 2 for the files I have...   Undecided

I think I should move away from the LaCie mobile drives I have and buy drives that plug-in (not bus-driven) with a 2 terabyte capacity. Currently, I have about 130 Gigabytes of archived files...maybe 20 of current projects I'm working on.

Any suggestions would be welcome... Mary

Using MacBook Pro, Snow Leopard, and Lightroom.
stevod

Interior Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:32:09 AM »

You could try NAS storage.  This will connect to your router rather than directly to your machine, but they tend to be more robust, and allow sharing more easily.

What they also can have is several bays.  This means you can add extra storage (drives) later, or you can use multiple drives for disk redundancy so that it can keep going even if a drive fails.  Multiple drive NAS can also read/write faster in most circumstances.

I have used QNAP for years with no problems - http://www.qnap.com - and I think most of their current stuff supports 3TB drives (which you can multiply with more drives to give higher total storage).   If I need to increase capacity I can just replace the drives with I have larger ones one-by-one and the NAS will rebuild itself with higher capacity.

A neat solution which might make things easier in the long run, although there's a little more tech to it than plugging in a USB HDD or similar.

Hope this helps as a starting point.

S

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: