The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 03:15:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Hardware Discussions
| | |-+  BluRay drives for PC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: BluRay drives for PC  (Read 1523 times)
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« on: June 17, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »

I'm thinking that going to BluRay would be the best way to get optical backups (bucketed) for the "new" photo archive I'm building for the missus's "brand". There's going to be about a "Tee" and a half of photos to bucketize, and doing say 700 DVD's sounds a bit absurd. Is there anything to be aware of in buying a blu-ray read-write drive for internal use on a PC?

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
K.Murat

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »

Hi Neil,

Blu-ray disks are made from the same materials as the common DVD or CD, just with the higher density. And the more disks you have the more chance that some of them might be corrupted after some period of time. What will be with your disks after say 10 years, 15 years? I don't know, and you don't know. For better insurance you need to backup your photos on multiple CD/DVD/Blu-Ray disks.

This is not a question of insurance but also a question of convenience. Operate with multiple disks with low I/O speed.

I guess today the price of 1 GB of HDDs is very low, so you might to consider backup your photo collection to HDD.
For example Seagate Barracuda Green (2TB) costs as low as $125.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382026,00.asp

You can also consider a NAS with RAID.

Just my thoughts, probably if the collection is not large the multiple Blu-ray disks is a good option.

--
Regards
Murat

Daminion - a new server based photo management software.
http://daminion.net
Niall Horley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:35:36 AM »

Hi Neil,

As Murat suggested you should use a combination of methods. I use Blu Ray for the conenience of not having to use multiple DVDs along with a NAS drive, with Genie Timeline so I get my whole machine backed up.

The price of hard drives keep falling so if you look at a NAS drive with multiple disks make sure it has the ability to rebuild its self and if more space if available grow the partition. I currently use 2 * 1 TB drives, when I run out of space I can replace the first disc with a 2 TB drive and let the volume rebuild. When complete I can add a second 2 TB drive and once rebuilt I will have the extra space.

There is also the possibility of cloud based services but these are not cheap, but they have the advantage they are off site.

Niall

Niall Horley
www.lifeatf8.co.uk
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 02:22:51 PM »

Apparently I wasn't clear enough ... the images are all being stored on both a "live" drive/s, and on the backup hard-drives (on and off-line). This question referred ONLY to the optical-backup part of the system. As recommended by Peter.

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: