The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 08:08:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Derivatives and Originals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Derivatives and Originals  (Read 2757 times)
gabrielh

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:12:47 AM »

Hello all,

Some time ago, I started a topic about how to search for derivative files whenever they exist, and, if not, do find the originals. I haven't quite yet found a good method yet, so here I am back with a new question and possible answer.

So, whenever I want to export a picture into Photoshop from the Lightroom catalog, I name the derivative file _Deriv, as suggested in the DAMbook. That way, I can very easily find all the derivative files in Lightroom. No problem.

Now, as I learn to work more and more with ACR, I find myself using Photoshop less and less. So, now it occurs rather frequently that a finished/post-processed image doesn't have the suffix _Deriv added to its name. This offers some problems for the search of finished/processed images.

I thought of adding a keyword "Original" to every original file that has a derivative file (so saved in Photoshop after exporting the original. That way, I can filter down all pictures that are not originals and I have the derivative files (_Deriv), or the files parametrically processed in Lightroom (or ACR).

Another possibility would be to not use the _Deriv suffix and to add "Derivative" as a keyword to every derivative file made in Photoshop, and to every file parametrically processed. And in this case, I wouldn't use the "Original" keyword for originals, as I can filter these down as being not "Derivative".

What are your thoughts on this subject? I liked the idea of naming my derivatives with the _Deriv suffix, though, but don't like the idea of adding a keyword for originals, as the vast majority of my images are originals, and only a fraction of these are processed (in Lightroom or Photoshop).

Thanks for all suggestions!

Take care,
Gabriel
rod barbee

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:05:11 AM »

What about using colored labels as workflow indicators. For instance, assign a color to all those original images you've made Lightroom edits to. You can still append the file name for those TIFF, PSD, or JPG images you've created as derivatives from the originals.

Personally, since all my camera originals are raw (dng actually), anything else produced (tiff, psd, jpg) are derivative so I don't necessarily need to append the file name. However, I will do that when I create specific print sizes. Then I'll add something like "_12x18" to the end of the file name.

Another option is using keywords, as you've described. But it seems this might be a pain. And what if you decide to hit the "reset" on an original? It's much easier to add or remove a colored label than a keyword.

You could also use custom metadata fields. John Beardsworth's Search Replace Transfer plug-in adds something like 18 custom fields. I've found that very useful (the whole plug-in is remarkably useful)

rod
gabrielh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 08:19:08 AM »

Thanks Rod for your comment, I appreciate the help! I will check the plugin you mentioned, it looks interesting! I think I will go with the keyword solution, finally, I made a shortcut in Lightroom and it's not too much a pain...

Take care,
Gabriel
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: