The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 03:18:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  iView -> EM -> and Now Media Pro!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: iView -> EM -> and Now Media Pro!  (Read 16087 times)
DrewFulton

View Profile Email
« on: May 10, 2011, 01:05:42 PM »

Looks like Phase One just announced the latest version of Expression Media...  Media Pro.. 

I haven't looked through the details yet but am downloading a trial version now.  Can't wait to see what improvements have been made.  Only $59 to upgrade from EM2 or $69 to upgrade from iView...  That at least sounds good.

For details, check out the site.  I hope Peter or others can share any experience they may have had with it or any Betas they might have used!

http://www.phaseone.com/media-pro

Drew
arossphoto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:49:12 PM »

I'm very interested in hearing Peter's feedback about this new version as well. I switched from C1 to Aperture a few years ago because I wanted a raw conversion app with integrated cataloguing and archiving. However, I've been reading about all the new features in the latest versions of C1 and have been getting jealous. Now that there is tighter integration with Media Pro it might be enough to get me to switch back. 
BeckyMalaria

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 02:35:25 PM »

Fingers crossed for some networking or sharing support.

-Becky
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:14:50 PM »

Just quick scanned the release notes and nothing about multi user functionality. On Phase One's site however they talk about multi user licenses: http://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Store/Media-Pro/Media-Pro-multiuser.aspx
Nothing either on the "Press Room" so I downloaded it myself to find out..
Roelof
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 02:08:41 AM »

I notice Virtual Earth has been quietly dropped. Probably because it's from Microsoft, but a shame as that feature was one of the few positives during their ownership.

John
Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 03:35:00 AM »

I agree with John, it's a shame that Virtual Earth has been dropped. A couple of years ago I camera scanned about 600 slides that documented a  1966-67 cruise I made aboard a US Navy destroyer circumnavigating the globe, including combat time. I used Virtual Earth to geotag the photos. By opening Virtual earth on a second monitor I had a wonderful presentation platform. Using the arrow keys I could run through the images while showing the location simultaneously.

Bill
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 04:07:20 AM »

Good to see the catalog size limit raised from 1.8GB. That is THE number one bugbear from iView.

XMP sidecar support is better easier. Rather than the user do it folder by folder, Sync Annotations in Media Pro 1 now writes XMP sidecars alongside the selected files. However writing XMP files still removes any existing XMP data like Adobe Camera Raw settings!

On windows the raw rendering is the same fast speed. However rendering raw files is way slower on a Mac compared to Expression Media or iView.

Naturally the main benefit is for Capture One 6.2 users with roundtrip metadata and raw rendering.

Phase One are a similar size company to the old iView Multimedia. With the Microsoft code removed Phase One should be nimble enough to release frequent updates to Media Pro.

-- Robert.

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 04:13:18 AM »

XMP sidecar support is better easier. Rather than the user do it folder by folder, Sync Annotations in Media Pro 1 now writes XMP sidecars alongside the selected files.
Yes, I also liked that - even if I don't like sidecars!

On windows the raw rendering is the same fast speed.
Are you sure? It strikes me as very much faster than before.

John
syncrasy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 05:38:07 AM »

I'm confused about XMP side cars and the implications for my Nikon NEF files...

Does "XMP support" mean simply that Media Pro will read existing XMP files for image editors that use them?
Or will Media Pro generate a side car file for all of my catalogued NEFs?
If I edit a NEF in Capture NX 2, will there then be two out-of-sync locations of XMP information (the side car and the NEF file itself)? Which takes precedence?

--Mark

Nikon D300 | Nikon Capture NX 2 | Photoshop CS2 | Expression Media 2 | Mac Pro | Mac OS 10.6.8 | 10GB RAM
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 05:57:58 AM »

The changes are smaller than suddenly offering support where there was none before. But they are good, important little changes, and mainly about writing , not reading.

In the past, Action > Extract Metadata generated sidecars in iView/ExMedia but you had to choose a single folder - which is pretty useless if your images may be from many folders. There was also the more helpful Sync command, but it wrote metadata directly inside the NEF.

Now, Sync also offers the choice of XMP sidecar, so for those who do not want to write directly into a raw file, it's easier to save metadata from MediaPro so C1 will read it. In the case of NX2, though, I didn't think it read sidecars.

John
syncrasy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 06:15:40 AM »

The changes are smaller than suddenly offering support where there was none before. But they are good, important little changes, and mainly about writing , not reading.

In the past, Action > Extract Metadata generated sidecars in iView/ExMedia but you had to choose a single folder - which is pretty useless if your images may be from many folders. There was also the more helpful Sync command, but it wrote metadata directly inside the NEF.

Now, Sync also offers the choice of XMP sidecar, so for those who do not want to write directly into a raw file, it's easier to save metadata from MediaPro so C1 will read it. In the case of NX2, though, I didn't think it read sidecars.

John

Thanks, John. I'm not sure I understand everything in your answer (I'm not as technically experienced as you) but I assume the short answer is "Don't worry, your NEFs will still work the same way and Media Pro doesn't generate them automatically. Side cars are only option if you want them." Is that correct?

But I'm am now troubled/confused by a post on the Phase One Media Pro discussion board. Apparently, Media Pro has dropped manufacturer support, and thus ignores the modifications made to NEF files with Nikon Capture NX. If manufacturer support is not restored, I will not purchase the upgrade.

I fear that Phase One are using Media Pro to force users to buy Capture One.

--Mark

Nikon D300 | Nikon Capture NX 2 | Photoshop CS2 | Expression Media 2 | Mac Pro | Mac OS 10.6.8 | 10GB RAM
smackie

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 06:30:06 AM »

Hmm. It's a welcome step forward but I've had some stability issues already. On a MacBook Pro running 10.6.7, I'm seeing the background metadata importer thread crash repeatedly. Not on every file but enough to make me very, very cautious about doing much more with it until I know what's going on. I've filed a support request with PhaseOne so we'll see if the customer support has improved.

:-)

Cheers

Scott...

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 06:31:04 AM »

Yes, that is correct. For you, no change, but it's progress for those who don't want to sync metadata into the raw files themselves and who use editing programs which handle sidecars.

I see what you mean about manufacturer support - I was wondering why my NEFs looked different - but I wonder if the problem is less worrying than you thought. Instead of "manufacturer" they use the Windows Imaging Component (WIC). That worried me at first because I'm on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine and had read somewhere that Nikon hadn't produced a WIC Codec for the platform. However, I took a NEF into NX2, made some changes, and then switched MediaPro to use WIC - my NX2 changes showed up. So I think it's OK.

John
jimHere

born in the 20th Century

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 06:36:58 AM »

... it's progress for those who don't want to sync metadata into the raw files themselves and who use editing programs which handle sidecars...

Are you guys saying that MediaPro won't sync annotations directly to the image files? It's sidecar only? Or are you saying the sidecar feature is just "better" now?

-- Jim
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 06:40:51 AM »

No, before Sync would ONLY write into raw files and you had to go into Action > Extract metadata which would only work on one folder at a time.

Now Sync offers sidecars as well.

John
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: