Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
II Pro mis-reading available drive space
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2020, 03:38:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  II Pro mis-reading available drive space
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: II Pro mis-reading available drive space  (Read 4517 times)
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« on: May 09, 2011, 05:55:21 PM »

I am running II Pro 3.4.10 (just downloaded).

I am trying to get it to copy files to a second computer over a Windows peer-peer LAN, all computers running XP sp3. All are set to simply allow all computers on the network to read/write files on the drives of all other computers. And to accept such.

II-Pro will run the ingestion on the "loading" computer, but as soon as it gets to the second computer, it will create the folders as specified, and place one or two of the Fuji .raf files in the appropriate folder with their .xmp files ... and then stop and say that it cannot continue, check for available drive space.

The SATA drive I'm trying to copy to has a bit more than a half-terrabyte free space, so it has PLENTY of space for putting another 10 or 20 files on it. Any ideas?

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:33:15 AM »

The problem is that the operating system function that II uses to determine drive space reports the wrong number, or fails to report a number. This is just one of several ways in which reading and writing across a network isn't identical to reading and writing local files.

I strongly recommend that you not ingest across a network, as it just isn't reliable for something that critical that occurs so early in the workflow. While it might be possible for me to come up with a way to make network writing reliable (using a hash code, on every write, for example), I'm not planning to do that because dealing with all the various problems that might be encountered by users would be infeasible. Very few network problems that I hear about are reproducible by me in my own shop, and that's a requirement if I am to provide support.

You'll no doubt find that other ingestion methods, such as just copying files with the Finder or Windows Explorer work, when II does not. For example, sometimes I get a report that II displays an error in reading the card, when Finder/Explorer copying does not. This is because II does a lot of error checking that other apps do not do.

So, a legitimate criticism of II is that it is too conservative and that its developer is a scaredy-cat.

--Marc
(ImageIngester developer)

R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:17:47 AM »

Understood, Marc. It's a bit disappointing, but we can live with it. The "2.x" version I just replaced did it just fine for us, so it's a bit of a down-stepper but then the controls are so much easier to figure out on 3.x ....

And I appreciate that you are open and candid with the user-base. Thank you!

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: