Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
renaming numbering sequence
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2020, 08:51:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  renaming numbering sequence
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: renaming numbering sequence  (Read 7961 times)
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« on: May 09, 2011, 05:33:03 PM »

I asked about this some time ago ... and it seems there is STILL no way to have II Pro 3.x simply start the numbering each new ingestion with 1. We were doing it at the studio with an older version up til today ... but when I upgraded it to 3.4 just now, the same file-numbering command leaves the box needing to be manually changed back to "1" each time.

Isn't there someway yet to do such a simple task? And before even mentioning that one can easily change the number manually ... don't even go there. I'm talking real-world here, and sorry but when that doesn't automatically reset for each ingestion, we spend a bunch of our time deleting entire folder sequences and re-ingesting at least every third or fourth client. It doesn't get done 20 times a day, so no one always remembers that.

And since every other program we've used to upload has ALWAYS had that option, we're not used to having to do something the program should be able to do with a single click on an option radio-button or something like that. It seems such a simple request.

Isn't there even a macro that would do this, and still leave us able to number sequentially through multi-card ingestions?

thanks,
Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:35:32 AM »

I'll raise the priority of this one on my list, Neil... You're right about it not being a whole lot of development work for me. Can't promise a date, however.

--Marc
(ImageIngester developer)

R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:15:05 AM »

Thanks, Marc ... it would be SO appreciated. I know for "power-users" it's so unimportant ... but ain't NO ONE in our shop a "power-user" at the computer. We're all have-to-users at the computer, and when I go to my PPA affiliated conferences, most of the photogs there are also have-to-users. We make what power-users think are stupid mistakes every time they're available ... or at least near to it.

The real reason is that we don't give crap about stupid computers. They're just something we HAVE to use to do what we do. We want as many tasks as possible "doable" safely by low-level employees as we can't afford high-paid staff and make our mortgages. And we don't want to spend time studying our computer and the 20 programs we need to "live" and how it all works to get in the way of getting straight-forward jobs done and getting the heck out of the cubicle. So ... simplifying this process in any way possible is so appreciated.

And YOU respond to your user-base, as does Hert ... THAT is very appreciated. VERY.

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:10:23 PM »

A question Neil: Are you using the auto-numbering only in the file name, or are you also using number-range folders?

One idea I have is to leave the existing {@sequence} macro and number-range folders as they are, but to introduce a new macro that always starts at 1 for each ingestion.

--Marc

R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 03:27:09 PM »

Marc,

Our folder arrangement uses only the client last name and the project name, as in:

Jones{space}10 Month/Archive/images

Miriam has toyed with the idea of including the month-year in the top folder for clients also. We might go to that at some point. It would mean a longer folder name, such as:

Jones{space}10 Month{space}08-11/Archive/images

Our image file-naming uses only the client's last name, an underscore, and a 3-digit number for portrait sessions OR a four-digit sequence for wedding shoots. The numbering ALWAYS starts at one ... so if there was a simple check-box/radio button/whatever to choose "Start at one for each new ingestion-X; Use continuing numbers-X" that would work for us just fine.

It is quite nice that we can put in subsequent cards in the same ingestion and have them handled right in with the other images of the first or earlier cards.

thanks ...
Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: