Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Are there decent instructions around anywhere?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2019, 03:31:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Are there decent instructions around anywhere?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Are there decent instructions around anywhere?  (Read 6312 times)
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« on: April 26, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »

I'm setting up EM2 for the wife's studio-files ... and of course, in getting ALL of her (and our) thousands of images organized (rather than just stuffed on various drives around the studio's computers) ... I'm having to deal with rather a lot of duplication. I've read through both "the book" (both first and second editions) and well ... the instructions on "de-duping" are rather generic. I've looked around here for anything more specific, I've read all of EM2's "Help" files (not that there's much help there either) and I've looked through the stuff on the "boards" at PhaseOne.

As a working pro, I don't really have oh, three or four weeks worth of time to dither around trying out various stuff ... I need to just get things DONE. Is there someplace that actually explains specifically how EM2 works in this (and any other area) and also gets one through the steps necessary to say, find duplication between two catalogs of say, 180 gigs each? Please?

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 03:20:01 AM »

Hello Neil,

Are some duplicates problematic?
If so, you indeed have to work out a method but if it's not realy a problem, why don't you leave it like it is?
Some tips of how i do my organizing:

• I advise to get organized from 'big' to 'small'. What i mean is; add metadata in groups as big as possible
  • Very important is to start rating as soon as possible and use a sound method for that (see the DAM book)
  • Only put individual metadata to files with ratings from 3 stars and above
  • Organize files in groups (catalog sets) when you need them, not in advance
Succes with your project!
Roelof
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »

Yea, there's troublesome duplication. The employee who was handling image storage for a couple years put some types of sessions in one folder on one drive, and copied them to another drive as "backup" ... and other types of sessions in folders on different drives and "backed up" them to various places. But she never wrote down what was what, and so some client's folders were put here, some there ... and the whole thing seems to have been inverted in a couple cases for several months at a time, but ... not EVERYTHING was copied everywhere.

The result is some folders exist in many places, some in several, some in only one. I of course need to find the ones that only exist in one place and were never backed-up ... that's critical.

But there are also MANY gigabytes of duplicated work ... and as there is no way to tell the "main" copy from the "backup" ... just by looking at folders ... and some of those folders also contain the heavily-worked "retouched" files that we also wish to preserve ... if I DIDN'T get rid of much of the duplication, it would be difficult figuring out which folder is the one we should use for any future needs of those images.

It's one heck of a mess. And I've read about using EM2 for de-duping, yet can't find actual instructions as to how it works. And as noted, I need to get stuff done ... not spend three weeks playing with the program to figure out how it works before actually working on the real files. So I was hoping there is some kind of actual manual for the program.

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »

Neil,
Identical files that have different file paths, Expression Media does not recognize as duplicate files, but as similar files. To locate these, use the "Show Similar" command in the Find menu.
Roelof
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 02:01:11 PM »

Thanks ... but I'm still looking for some decent place of instructions for that rather ... largely capable ... program!

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:46:59 AM »

There are a couple of threads on this on this site. There was an instruction manual, not very helpful, that was out (it may have been liimited to Version 1 with Microsoft). Microsoft had a site with some videos buit they were mostly basic setup. The forum they had was locked when it was sold to Phase One. There is a safari online book on this, but I have not looked at it. Phase One has posted 13 videos on different segements of EM2 on its website.

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Software/Expression-Media-2/XM-Tutorials.aspx

These are mostly Peter Krogh's videos for them. They probably would be the most helpful for you.

Peter covers the basics in the Dam Book 2, and then also posted a number of videos on Vimeo on this. You can search through Vimeo to get some videos on EM2.

Peter did some workshops on this in the past. I attended one and it was excellent.

I hope this helps.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

www.BoglePhoto.com, blog at www.BoglePhoto.blogspot.com
PC AMD 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.6Ghz, Vista 32bit SP1,PS CS3, Lightroom 2, IIP, EM2, Dell Studio 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Vista 64 bit
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I've seen Microsoft's manual, which so far is still the best bit availabe. I've been through all the stuff on the PhaseOne site, and it's all VERY basic. I've read through both Books 1 and 2 quite thoroughly, and Peter gives a good over-view, but of course in the space of those books cannot possibly give specific instructions as to how EM2 "thinks", how to think like the creators of it, and how to learn to delve into really using the program.

I'll check out the Vimeos you mention, but ... unless they've got hours and hours of them, indexed for tons of specific steps, my guess is (again) that it will be rather generalized instructions rather than "here are the concrete steps to do X" for most anything EM2 can do.

Which is what I'd really like to have. So far, I'm far more impressed with idImager for info availability on how to do things in it. With EM2, it seems that one needs to just sit down, create trial catalogs, and spend time trying learn how to do things through trial and error and of course, posting here and over at PhaseOne and waiting a couple days to a week to see if someone does reply in depth. Given the hours on hours over week after week that it takes me to figure things out that way, I don't understand how some folks figure this stuff out and STILL run a business, take care of home and property, talk with their kids daily, and smell the supper before they've wolfed it down and run back to the computer.

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 04:01:32 PM »

Another Try Neil  Wink

Did you trie to find duplicatis with a tool like 'SearchMyFiles' ? (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html
Files that apear to be the same can be compared with their Hash code (automated with 'HashMyFiles' URL: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html)
The main check can be don visualy like Peter is showing here: http://vimeo.com/15862845?ab
I don't think you will find al the things you need in one tool (EM / IdImager / Etc). i'm convinced the solution must be found in comparing images with their (MD5 or SHA1) hash code.
I hope this is getting you a step forward.
Roelof
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 04:20:40 PM »

Thanks, Roelof ...

I'll go check out the "searchmyfiles" site ... and I do appreciate your interest in helping!

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 11:10:39 AM »

Roelof:

Thank you for recommending the narsoft search&rescue software ... it's dupe-finding features are quite wonderful, including the ability to search for files or simply folders. BOTH capabilities have already been very useful.

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: