The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 12:20:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  DNG
| | |-+  Using both Lightroom AND Expression Media2, vis-a-vis RAWs and DNGs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Using both Lightroom AND Expression Media2, vis-a-vis RAWs and DNGs  (Read 2191 times)
dtraughber

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »

Upon ingestion with Image Ingestor Pro2, I have added copyright/contact information. In Lightroom, I have been cataloging, rating, and keywording my images, and saving that back to the file.

Can Expression Media2 be used to catalog these same images without saving any more metadata to the file?

The image files are kept in proprietary RAW, and derivatives in Tiff. Would it be better to convert the RAW files to DNG, and then catalog the DNGs in Expression Media, while keeping a catalog of the RAWs in Lightroom?

The intention is to keep an archive in RAW, and in DNG, perhaps cataloged by Lightroom AND Expression Media2. Yes, I know this means it would take close to double the hard drive space, and perhaps double the trouble. Maybe this is like having cake and eating it too? This way, it seems that there would be advantages of having both RAWs and DNGs, available for whatever comes in the future without giving up anything.

From reading the forum and The DAM Book, I understand some of the pluses of converting to DNG. However, I donít trust putting all my eggs in one DNG basket! All this would be contingent on whether Expression Media is compatible with my recent upgrade to Snow Leopard.

There is not room enough in the same Lightroom catalog to keep both DNGs and RAWs.

What are the pros and cons of keeping RAWs and DNGs, and cataloging the RAWs using Lightroom AND DNGs with Exp Media? Or some other arrangement?

Any tips on how to manage backup of both, if done with two cataloging programs?

Thank you,
Dadre Traughber
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:07:51 AM »

Hi Dadre,

Expression Media 2 can catalog metadata in xmp sidecar files. It can't (easily) write to the sidecars though...

DNG is a sfer raw format IMHO. It's your call whether to go DNG.

I keep my proprietary raws and convert to (& catalog) DNGs. Others discard their raw files - again your call.

I would only catalog either the DNG or the raw. It gets messy otherwise. For the same reason only use only catalog app and (if possible) one catalog.

For archiving the physical files the best practice is outlined in The DAM Book.

-- Robert.

dtraughber

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:37:31 AM »

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I know keeping both DNGs and RAWs are my call, and I want to understand the best way to handle that situation. We dont' know the future, so I feel it safer to diversify!

The metadata in my RAW files comes from ImageIngestor Pro2 upon ingestion (contact/copyright) and Lightroom 3 (culling, cataloging, ratings, labels, keywords, develop settings). 

I thought the best way might be to convert to DNG after Iíve done the above work, and then catalog the DNGs in Expression Media2. I donít have any intention of changing the metadata/writing to the files in ExpMedia2. I only want to use that for organization into sets and just getting an overview of my archive. I would not have to change the metadata in the file to do that, since the catalog keeps the information without writing back to file, right?

Somewhere along the way I read that one might keep just the higher star ratings in the RAW. Not sure if I would want to go this route since so much of my work is documentary. I do make virgin RAW DVDs upon ingestion.

I would want to keep the RAWs cataloged in Lightroom, and the DNGs cataloged in Expression Media2.

The question still remains: What are the pros and cons of keeping RAWs and DNGs, and cataloging the RAWs using Lightroom AND DNGs with Exp Media? Or some other arrangement?

I know there are those of you out there that keep both and catalog both. I appreciate your input.

Any tips on how to manage backup of both, if done with two cataloging programs?

Thank you again,

Dadre
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:56:35 AM »

Hello Dadre,

There are multiple scenario's possible. I myself do save my original RAW files (NEF) but i don't do anything with them than store them at a save place in 'buckets'. After ingestion and renaming i make DNG's and they are archieved in Expression Media. All my work, i do with EM. Only for security reasons i keep my NEF's...

It is possible to integrate the original RAW file into the DNG. This makes organizing things easier. I would use only one archieving program; EM or Lightroom, not both but that's a personal choice. I don't know Lightroom very well but i think it's possible to make multiple archieves like EM can?

I thought the best way might be to convert to DNG after Iíve done the above work, and then catalog the DNGs in Expression Media2. I donít have any intention of changing the metadata/writing to the files in ExpMedia2. I only want to use that for organization into sets and just getting an overview of my archive. I would not have to change the metadata in the file to do that, since the catalog keeps the information without writing back to file, right?
Yes, when the DNG's are made, all metadata is integrated into the files which can be understood by EM. The catalog keeps the info without writing back to te file. Of course you could write back info to the file when necesary...

Succes with the decisions to make!
Roelof
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: