The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 08:10:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Scripting
| | |-+  Transfer database info to custom metadata fields
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Transfer database info to custom metadata fields  (Read 2822 times)
ViraR

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but I have picked up a copy of the DAM Book, and have read most of the way through.

I've been exploring Dam solutions for our pdf/image/video archive and have been learning a lot about metadata.

We have been exploring ResourceSpace and believe it is the system we'd like to go with. ResourceSpace uses Exiftool to import/manage custom metadata fields.

Ideally, I believe we'd like to append the custom metadata fields (propriety company info, not related to any existing field)s to the image before ingesting them into ResourceSpace. I have set up a custom panel in Bridge to handle the custom fields. (28 fields)

The workflow has been tested to keep the custom fields/data throughout the system, from ingest to download. We have a large (10,000+) library of files to add to the system, and the main challenge is appending custom metadata from our external database. We are trying to avoid manual entry of the metadata in Bridge.

How can we get the database info, whether it's Access/Excel/CSV output scripted to append correctly to the custom metadata fields in Bridge, matched of course, by file name?

Is Bridge the right tool for this job? I've read about other software on this forum, (like Expression Media/Lightroom) and if there is a better software package for managing metadata, we may be able to switch to it. Or, if there is an Exiftool command line that would provide the import function that we need, we'd be willing to do that as well.

I've been scouring the internet, and some of the posts here by John Beardsworth have proven to look like the closest thing to our needs. I've explored his website as well, but I don't believe there is a Bridge script that he has that meets our needs exactly.

I'm a designer/web designer and have little coding background, so scripting something myself is out of the question. I just need to be pointed in the right direction, but if custom scripting is needed, compensation is not out of the question.

Thanks for any input you can give!

Vira
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: