The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 09:29:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Workflow Discussions
| |-+  Tethered Shooting
| | |-+  Tethered shooting file renaming problem in LR3 from a Canon 5D
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tethered shooting file renaming problem in LR3 from a Canon 5D  (Read 8296 times)
cabrackett

View Profile Email
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:05:05 AM »

This forum seems to have gone to sleep, and this might actually be better in the LR forum, but I will try here first.

I have run into a problem renaming files on import while shooting tethered: Canon 5D, LR 3, Mac OSX 10.6.
I want to use the <filename number suffix> icon to capture the file number sequence from the 5D, which I use in continuous mode. After extensive testing I cannot find a way to make this work, I just get a sequence number, one digit instead of 4, but no way can I get the original file sequence number.

On the other hand, when importing the same files from card, all is well.

I have contacted both Adobe and Canon. Canon says they know of no problem that would cause this. Adobe has had over a week to study the problem but has provided no help at all.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions lurking out there?

I did contact Martin Evening who tried the same thing on his Canon 1Ds Mk3, and that worked perfectly.

I am stuck. Canon suggested I use EOS Utility to do the import, but that is not right for my workflow.

Chuck Brackett
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:57:40 PM »

I agree with Canon.  I shoot tethered into Lightroom but prefer using EOS Utility to make the connection.  I shoot primarily with a 5dII now... but still have a 5D though its used much less now.

I'm not sure how I see that the EOS Utility changes the workflow in a significant way.  It gives you more control over the camera and more reliable constant camera connections in heavy shooting situations (granted I haven't tried Lightrooms native tethering again since it's early inception... maybe it's improved).  With EOS Utility you shoot into specific folder that is set as Lightoom's "watched" folder.  When Lightroom detects a new image it's immediately imported as per your instructions in Auto Import setup.  You tell it what folder to go into, what metadata to add, what initial develop settings to apply and how to rename.  If you shoot into Loupe View each new frame is displayed as the active image.  The extra import step adds maybe two seconds before the image pops up on screen versus shooting into Bridge or the Canon software that doesn't need to move the file before display.  How is any of this functionally different to letting Lightroom control the tether... as far as workflow goes?

I can't recall the exact setting... don't have camera and software in front of me... but what worked best was to tell EOS Utility to custom name the files yymmdd-####(my usual naming pattern).  The problem is that the #### part will start over at one each time without the right setting.  There's no way to get it to match what the camera is doing with cards natively.  However if you choose the proper setting it will remember where it left off at the last session and continue on with the next (won't reset to 1 again after each shoot).  Tethered shooting gives me one sequence of image numbers.  Shooting to cards gives me a different one.  That hasn't proved to be any sort of problem for me.  You can make the sequence number four digits long.

Bob Smith
cabrackett

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:21:55 AM »

Bob
Thank you for the reply. I think LightRoom 3 has improved the import functions, and particularly the tethered shooting imports, significantly. I in fact have in that past used the EOS Utility but found that I always had problems when the camera timed out between shots. EOS Utility would shut off and some sort of reboot would have to take place, which was a huge disruption. I will try it again for a fair comparison. The LR tethered import works very well in all regards except this one. It does not give any control over the camera functions but for my purposes that has not been an issue.

Chuck Brackett
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: