The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 09:54:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Workflow Discussions
| |-+  Tethered Shooting
| | |-+  Tethered Corporate Headshots: Capture One w 5d?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tethered Corporate Headshots: Capture One w 5d?  (Read 4138 times)
bethany Bandera

View Profile Email
« on: August 11, 2010, 04:52:32 PM »

I avoid shooting tethered like the plague, but sometimes it's awesome and necessary.  So I will be shooting with the old 5d and I'm wondering what people's experience has been with various software.  A colleageague suggested Capture One but I remember thinking it was clunky and quirky back when I used it last.  I love Lightroom, but is that not the most efficient program? 

A couple of seconds delay between each shot is no big deal. 

Thoughts?

Thanks for sharing!
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:05:53 PM »

When I first got my 5D I bought Capture One Pro specifically for tethered shooting.  I do a lot of my shooting tethered and needed something reliable.  I disliked most everything else about Capture One but the tethered shooting was dead reliable and the Canon software was not at that time.  I shot with Capture One Pro to get the images into the computer and then switched to Bridge/ACR?Photoshop for the rest of the workflow.  Since then Canon's EOS Utility has improved a lot.  I use that pretty much exclusively now with both the original 5d and a 5DmkII.  Probably the most efficient (fastest) way to use it is to couple it with Bridge so that the most recently shot frame is the highlighted frame in Bridge.  Lightroom 3's tethering is not bad but using EOS Utility to a watched folder with Auto Import turned on is more reliable and versatile.  It's only a second or so slower.  With the original 5D its about 4 seconds from shutter click to an image appearing in Bridge... maybe 5 or six seconds in Lightroom using Auto Import.  The camera can shoot bursts and clear the buffer at almost as fast as a modest speed card in the camera.

Bob Smith
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: