The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 01:24:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Chronosync + Folder Structure
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Chronosync + Folder Structure  (Read 2932 times)
frankgindc

View Profile Email
« on: March 17, 2011, 02:05:28 PM »

I'm pretty sure that I must be missing something obvious, but I am testing the trial version of Chronosync and want to make sure of this feature before I buy:

In short, I can't seem to find a way to maintain the folder structure from the source folder to the destination drive.

I've done a few tests of folders in the source named, say, Bucket_001.   And set as the destination a test area on another drive. But when I run the backup I expect the first step to be creating Bucket_001 at the destination.   Instead, it is just transferring the files that are within Bucket_001, etc.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Frank
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:29:38 AM »

If the folder doesn't exist on the destination, you need to create it before doing the sync.  You can create it during the process of selecting the destination if you use the dialog to find the destination as opposed to dragging and dropping.  Note, using this method the target folder doesn't have to have the same name as the source (though you'd usually probably want it to).  What is being synced is the contents of that folder, not the folder itself.

Alternately you can sync one directory level above the folder you want to sync.  In the analyze tab can select everything except the folder you want to sync and "exclude" the selected items.  That will create the folder you want on the target drive as the sync is done if it doesn't already exist.

Bob Smith
frankgindc

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »

Thanks, Bob!  That did the trick.

Frank
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: