The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2014, 09:28:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  Apps that import selections?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Apps that import selections?  (Read 2173 times)
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 31, 2011, 05:44:24 PM »

I'm trying to get a list of photo-viewing or cataloging apps that can import a list of selected images (e.g., by file name) from an external source such as a text file. Two I know work are Lightroom, via a plugin, and Photo Mechanic, which has this built-in. I assume iView/EM can do it, as it has elaborate scripting, but I haven't checked to see whether a script can read a file. Maybe Bridge's scripting can do it, too.

Does anyone know of others?

--Marc

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 02:46:28 AM »

I suspect you've already answered the question, Marc. Nothing really does it out of the box, not least because the text file can be so variable, but if the app is scriptable then it can be done, with some effort.

John
rogerhoward

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:05:31 AM »

I'm trying to get a list of photo-viewing or cataloging apps that can import a list of selected images (e.g., by file name) from an external source such as a text file. Two I know work are Lightroom, via a plugin, and Photo Mechanic, which has this built-in. I assume iView/EM can do it, as it has elaborate scripting, but I haven't checked to see whether a script can read a file. Maybe Bridge's scripting can do it, too.

ExpressionMedia can do it, via scripting
Bridge cannot as it doesn't import anything - it's just a browser
Portfolio, Cumulus - yes and yes, via scripting and other means
iPhoto - yes, via scripting
Aperture - yes, via scripting

Other apps?

-Roger

-----

Roger Howard
Dick Holtman

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 01:28:45 PM »

Which Lightroom plug-in is this?

I know that thePhotoGeek has a solution, see http://thephotogeek.com/client-photo-selects-lr2/

I used this solution to create a little Python program which as a result creates a "Smart collection".
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 03:29:01 PM »

Bridge cannot as it doesn't import anything - it's just a browser

Roger,

Marc asked if the program could "import a list of selected images" rather than importing the images, so I would say Bridge can parse such a list and select files. I've not seen a script that will do it though.

John
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 05:04:10 PM »

Dick--

I've used LR/Transporter to import selections. However, my actual case is my iPhone/iPod/iPad app, WidePhotoViewer, which in its next version (going to the App Store tomorrow) will allow selections on the device and then pass them to a computer, via email, Dropbox, or FTP. I have written a plugin for Lightroom that makes the selections, handling a whole folder of emails if desired. It's much more automatic that the approach in the article you linked to.

The purpose of my question was to get a feel for what other apps can use this approach.

In the version I'm working on now, a form will come up on the device in which the user can also indicate quantities and print sizes in addition to selections.

--Marc

BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »

I know I am in the minority as a windows and android (Droid X) user, Marc, but any thought to doing an Droid app? I would use it. Thanks for the great piece of software you did and the great support.

Everything is working great, even in Windows 7!

Bill Bogle, Jr.

www.BoglePhoto.com, blog at www.BoglePhoto.blogspot.com
PC AMD 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.6Ghz, Vista 32bit SP1,PS CS3, Lightroom 2, IIP, EM2, Dell Studio 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Vista 64 bit
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 02:22:21 PM »

An Android version of WidePhotoViewer is a possibility, but there are problems: (1) Android device market is fragmented into different OS versions, often with no possibility of the user upgrading, (2) store is somewhat chaotic compared to Apple App Store, (3) tablet market hasn't taken off (tablets are the device best suited to viewing photos).

--Marc

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: