The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 10:21:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Back up advice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Back up advice  (Read 1581 times)
bsouth

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2011, 05:47:25 PM »

With a new Mac Pro (early 09 quad), CS5 and LR3, I'm revisiting, well, everything. I have System and Applications, including LR catalog but not image files, on 640 gb internal, and am starting a new LR catalog from scratch. Once set-up, I will start ingesting new files and migrate old files from old catalog as needed, using this point as bright line for new catalog. Old stuff is backed up.

I have external GRAID 2T (striped 0, e-sata connection via extender cable) planned for primary working files + archive. Set up with Image Ingester and file structure. I plan to use internal 2T for backup of working and archive. I would like to know if GRAID e-sata connection can be used for bootable clone. CCC seems to indicate not and Chronosync does not indicate a problem (is moot on the point.) Would e-sata be possible with Chronosync?

I will have to format GRAID for GUID as it is set for Apple Partition Map. It seems it could be partitioned in CCC with files already on the drive but I'm not sure if this is the case with Chronosync or whether I should actually create a separate partition for the bootable backup. Any thoughts re pros/cons of partition vs folders? One concern is setting the size for the bootable, which could grow a lot as previews in the catalog pile up, ie making it large enough (640) with out taking more space from image files than necessary. Bestflow seems to indicate folders fine, for working and archive anyway, but perhap for bootable it is better to partition?

Last, if all three drives are set for Journaled will there be much performance hit for LR + CS5 (12 gb ram, no movies yet)?

Eventually, if this is all set up properly, I would use additional swapper file backup too.

The slightly odd configuration of primary files on external and backup on internal + swappers - can this work?

I have been pouring over DAM 2 book and bestflow. Advice greatly appreciated!

Barbara
stevod

Interior Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:46:40 AM »

Doesn't the striped setup put all your files at risk from disk failure?  Wouldn't you be safer mirroring instead to gain disk redundancy?

S

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: