Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Directory & storage of catalogs
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 01:09:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Directory & storage of catalogs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Directory & storage of catalogs  (Read 2126 times)
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2011, 04:25:15 PM »

If cross posting is not allowed, apologies, & moderator can delete this, but I just realized I might get a response in the Expression media section.

I see how catalogs are a key part to DAM, & have a few questions for those who have them & experience with them;

Placement of the ivew or expression media catalog; where do users store them? should I save my catalogs of my originals on the same hard drive along with the buckets with my Raw folders? does iveiw or expression media catalogs need access to the original files? if the catalogs are small enough, I would like to be able to store them on a flash USB drive. How do I back up the catalogs? with a separate bucket directory of just catalogs? what would be the best medium for backup?

how to split up the catalogs; should I have one big catalog with everything arranged in the same way as my originals & buckets? ie; a catalog of a bucket Raw_001? & so on? that mirrors the originals directory?

As I am moving over to a DAM way of doing things, can ivew or expression media do a search of content based on any type of meta data like keywords or category of the originals content on my external hard drive? or do these programs only search through saved catalogs?

Sossity
Derek Dysart

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:51:03 PM »

A lot of this is answered in the book (and much better so in the 2nd edition).  The short answer is keep the Expression Media Catalog in their own folder in your working folder, and have it backed up via the backup strategy for backing up your working folder.  As for catalog size, depends on how many images.  Expression media starts to bog down as you near 50k images in your catalog.  The suggestion is break your catalog up along "bright lines" such as year or grouping of years.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: