The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 07:44:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Aperture
| | |-+  Dead or Alive
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dead or Alive  (Read 4443 times)
sharpie

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »

Either Aperture works very well or it is dead and nobody uses it.  Which is it?
Chris
Fredrik_Norrsell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 04:25:18 AM »

I myself ended up choosing Lightroom. I preferred the organization of the interface. That said I have several friends (serious amateurs to part-time pros) that uses Aperture and is very happy. In my opinion, its mostly about personal preference, all softwares have their strengths/weaknesses.

Fredrik
msbc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 07:37:10 PM »

Very much alive. I switched to Lightroom from Aperture 2 but switched back to Aperture 3. AP's editing power with brushes, full-screen browser/editor and book printing capabilities blow Lightroom away :-)

- Mark
sharpie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:04:01 PM »

Is Aperture your only DAM software?
Chris
msbc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:27:04 PM »

Is Aperture your only DAM software?
Chris

Yes, it provides all the management facilities I need to import, rename, organise, geocode, search, publish and export versions. A smattering of exiftool scripts allow me to manage any EXIF or IPTC anomalies e.g. Lens descriptions for old lenses.

Mark

- Mark
iau

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 12:44:45 AM »

I regulary check the forum.

I primarily use Lightroom to organize and edit, but bought Aperture from App store with the great price reduction in January. Never gotten comfortable with it. Mainly because it sort of duplicates all photos when adding to library as referenced files. However, I'm still curious about it but I see that there is absolute no activity in the Aperture forum which leads me to believe not many are using it. Or are they just not here?

Anyway, got a warning that this thread - the most recent one in the Aperture forum - was at least 120 days old. Maybe I should have let it rest....

- inge
bosskev

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »

...[Aperture] sort of duplicates all photos when adding to library as referenced files.

I am not clear what you mean by this. My understanding is that, when importing files into Aperture as referenced files that is, neither copying nor moving the original files but leaving them in their original location(s) and merely linking to them as a reference that files are explicitly NOT duplicated. Could you explain what you meant?
Old Toad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 01:19:17 PM »

It was reported today on the http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/06/27/apple-stops-development-of-aperture/ website that Aperture is being discontinued by Apple when Yosemite is released.  I talked with a couple of the top contributors to the Aperture and iPhoto Apple forums and they heard that the info was legit but not officially confirmed by Apple. We'll have to wait and see.

If true the Aperture is going the way of iDVD, iWeb and the Dodo bird.  Cry

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: