The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 09:55:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  offsite backup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: offsite backup  (Read 1036 times)
elliotjnewman

View Profile Email
« on: December 20, 2010, 01:05:52 PM »

Hi all

I am after some suggestions on offsite backups. I currently have about 1TB of data, that I predict will be expanding by roughly 500GB per year... I am trying to work out what the best options are out of the following:

Internet backups
BlueRay backups
Tape backups
External HD backups

I don't think the Internet backup is going to be an option with this amount of data unless I pay for a business ISP and get much faster upload speeds...

BlueRay seems like a good option, but I'm slightly put off by the sheer number of disks I would need to burn.

Tape backups sound great, especially high capacity tapes, but I am worried about cost, anything half reasonable seems to only afford you tapes holding about 50GB, which makes me think its easier to just go with BlueRay...

External HD's sound like a good idea, but again I guess the cost would be higher? I am ordering a 5 bay RAID, and 2TB HD's are relatively cheap, so perhaps the best option is to just clone the RAID and take the clones off site?

Thanks for your advice.
Elliot

BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 10:03:13 PM »

At that size, offsite backup will be very expensive and time consuming.

If you are comfortable with only hard drive back up, then I would suggest two offsite backups, which you have to verify the integrity from time to time. You don't want to overwrite these drives, and drives can fail and be prone to viruses or computer failure, not to mention operator error. A wrong setting on a backup can wipe it out fast. I see hard drive as an absolute minimum, and don't favor raids, but just copies of the disks in a JBOD. Right now, you could copy that drive on a couple of 1.5TB hard drives and stick them in different places, and be relatively sure with some integrity verification, that you have some safety in numbers. You also may want to separately back up your working files differently as opposed to your archive/portfolio.

Blu ray gives you the prefered second type of media, more resistant to operator error, viruses and other accidental changes. If you build the blu ray copies into your backup workflow, it is a lot more manageable than trying to do a year end backup of all data. Just think back when we were using CD's for back up.

I would strongly suggest reading Peter's book cover to cover before you decide, then go back through and look at what works for you. His suggestions are rock solid, but he is open to different ideas if you are willing to take the risk that such decisions may cause.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

www.BoglePhoto.com, blog at www.BoglePhoto.blogspot.com
PC AMD 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.6Ghz, Vista 32bit SP1,PS CS3, Lightroom 2, IIP, EM2, Dell Studio 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Vista 64 bit
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: