The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 11:53:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28020 Posts in 5140 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  SyncBack Query
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SyncBack Query  (Read 2905 times)
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2010, 08:47:06 AM »

I've just had to do a restore from a backup.
However my SyncBack settings were such that files on the back up drive were never deleted, even if the Core data had been moved or converted from RAW to DNG. Consequently I now have a catalogue of thousands of multiple copies.
Remember the old work flow: import, move to another folder to alter then move again to convert to dng!!! I have copies in each folder of the same files!!!
Who has SyncBack set to delete from the back up if not in the source? Would have stopped this problem,but sounds risky, surely the back up is there in case the original is lost. Imagine not realising it was deleted until after a backup were it would also have been deleted!
Thoughts?
Chris Bishop
george

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 05:31:48 PM »

Hi Chris,

I don't have an answer but I'm curious to know how others are handling this.  If things get moved around as in your workflow (mine is similar), then a restore yields multiple copies unless backup is set to delete stuff on the target that's not in the source.  I completely agree that setting files to be deleted from the backup if not on the source is potentially risky.  Anyone?

--George
george

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »

Hi Chris,

Looks like we're not getting much response.  I've posted on the IDimager forum as well:

http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14482

Maybe someone over there has some ideas.

--George
MarcB
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 11:15:03 PM »

FWIW, my (LR3) workflow: I have one "New" folder, which holds all the photos I still need to cull/keyword/rename, etc. Once that is done, they get moved to their final location (a date-based folder structure). The "New" folder is mirrored by SyncBack (so photos which are moved to their final location will be removed from the backup), all other folders are backed up.

Worst case scenario, I accidentally delete something from the "New" folder, and SyncBack deletes it from the backup. In that case, I"ll just have to go back to my original out-of-camera photo (which are backed up separately) and start again.
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 07:09:01 AM »

In my workflow, Syncback doesn't delete moved photos from the back up.
If I move a photo from folder one to folder two, it is no longer in folder one on my HDD.
It is still in folder one in my Syncback back up. It will also be in folder two when I back up folder two. This is correct. You don't want Syncback to delete photos from the back up, that's the point of it.
I wanted to know how people cleaned or purged their back ups?
Chris Bishop

Seasons Greetings all.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: