Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
DNG SDK
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2020, 05:17:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  DNG
| | |-+  DNG SDK
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DNG SDK  (Read 5129 times)
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2006, 12:24:33 PM »

There's now an Adobe DNG Software Development Kit available. According to Adobe "The Adobe DNG SDK provides support for reading and writing DNG files as well as support for converting DNG data into a format easily displayed or processed by imaging applications. This SDK can serve as a starting point for adding DNG support to existing applications that use and manipulate images or as an aid to adding DNG support within cameras."

John
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 05:31:30 PM »

Indeed, it is available for download. I downloaded it and built the sample application (for validating DNGs), and it compiled and linked cleanly on my Mac (with Xcode 2.2.1). Haven't tried to build the Windows app yet, but that probably will go well also.

This should very rapidly increase the number of new tools that work with DNGs, and also allow existing tools that don't currently support DNGs to start supporting them.

Unfortunately, it's of no use to me in ImageIngester, because conversion of raw formats to DNGs is not one of the the things the SDK can do. But, ImageIngester is used very early, so it's an exception. Most imaging tools would be used in after the raw is converted to DNG. For those of us who are DNG-centric, anyway.

(ImageIngester converts to DNG by invoking Adobe DNG Converter as a sub-process. That seems to be working very well. No complaints from users.)

It seems that the SDK includes complete source code, and the license appears to allow unrestricted use (and modification, etc.), as long as the Adobe copyright notice is included in the right places. So, this should score some points for Adobe in the DNG vs open raw controversy. In theory, availability of the source changes nothing, since the format was already available, but in practice I expect it will have some effect.

I think, not being an expert on such things, that the Adobe license is similar to the BSD Open Source license (with none of the GPL requirements), but Adobe doesn't refer to the DNG SDK as "Open Source." It appears that Adobe isn't trying to restrict anything--they just want usage of DNG to be as friction-free as possible.

Thanks, Adobe!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: