Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
alternate way to update embedded preview jpeg?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2020, 06:12:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  DNG
| | |-+  alternate way to update embedded preview jpeg?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: alternate way to update embedded preview jpeg?  (Read 7258 times)
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2006, 04:20:00 AM »

I'm a recent convert to a DNG workflow.  I'm mostly happy with the improvements but one frustration remains.  If I set Camera Raw prefs to update the embedded preview (if its not updated what's the point of having it?) this radically slows the process of bulk editing DNG files as each minor tweak to a setting means a few seconds on each image to update the jpg.  With updating turned off, the settings and the preview shown in Bridge are updated MUCH more quickly.

So....  is there a way to leave updating turned off and then manually batch update the embedded jpegs in a folder of DNGs all at one time, once editing is completed?  I know that I can simply run the DNG convertor again and point it toward the edited DNGs as the source files, but this is even more time consuming and convoluted than waiting for previews to update after each individual edit.  There's got to be a better way that I seem to be missing.

Bob Smith
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 04:52:45 AM »

Select them all in Adobe Camera Raw and from the little flyout menu besides Settings, select Export Settings. You'll then be prompted with the preview size. Afterwards, click done. You can do this to hundreds of files and do overnight runs.

The problem can be if you have the images in multiple folders. A couple of methods will help. In Bridge, search for files from a root folder and tick include subfolders. Alternatively, if you're using iView, select the files and right click to open in Photoshop.

John
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 01:01:37 PM »

Thanks... that's helpful.  And it appears that this method is also possibly the answer to my question posted here:

http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=553.0

slowly but surely I'm smoothing the glitches in this workflow.

Bob Smith
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 01:47:41 PM »

Bob,
Are you building DNG files before ACR adjustments?  If so, I'd wait.
If you are readjusting a lot, then you might want to rethink your workflow, or you might want to make sure to open multiple images into ACR at once, so that you take one speed hit, rather than multiple.
Peter
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 02:15:09 PM »

Are you building DNG files before ACR adjustments?  If so, I'd wait.

I am now.  Now that I'm getting more familiar with a workflow similar to what you outline in your book, I'd just as soon put my Kodak DCRs away and work with DNGs as early in the workflow as possible to keep the number of files/folders I'm pushing around to a minimum.  I apply Camera Raw defaults and basic metadata before DNG conversion but more precise tweaks to camera raw settings (especially crops) always occur later as I prep files more precisely yet before proofing for the client.  Yes, I open multiple similar files in Camera Raw and apply settings.  I was just not preparred for how much having the embedded JPEG update would slow the process down.

The suggestion to export settings seems to be a decent answer.  That allows much faster editing then I can export setting on a whole folder while I move onto some other task

Thanks

Bob Smith
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 07:05:27 AM »

Bob,
There is another workaround.
You could make the changes without updating the preview, and then batch the whole folder with the DNG converter.  You'll get a duplicate set of DNGs, but these will have the adjustments applied to the embedded preview.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: