The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 02:04:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  DNG
| | |-+  Are DNG's Natively supported on OS X?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Are DNG's Natively supported on OS X?  (Read 4570 times)
Frez

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »

I just converted some Canon 5D Mk II RAW files to DNG using Adobe's DNG Converter 6.3 (via ImageIngester) with medium sized JPG previews embedded.

Trying to view the thumbnails in Finder or images in Preview with Mac OS 10.6.4 doesn't seem to work.

Are DNG's Natively supported on OS X?

Thanks,
Frez
rogerhoward

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »

I just converted some Canon 5D Mk II RAW files to DNG using Adobe's DNG Converter 6.3 (via ImageIngester) with medium sized JPG previews embedded.

Trying to view the thumbnails in Finder or images in Preview with Mac OS 10.6.4 doesn't seem to work.

Are DNG's Natively supported on OS X?

I have both CR2 and DNG files from a 5d Mark II here on OSX Snow Leopard and the thumbnails show in Finder, the previews in Quicklook, and I can open them in Preview. Are you up to date with Software Update?

-Roger

-----

Roger Howard
Frez

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 10:28:43 AM »

I am up to date except for 10.6.5 - and I'm looking to avoid updating until I'm finished a few projects.

Is 10.6.5 needed for DNG support?
Frez

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:34:59 AM »

I did some more testing.

sRAW > DNG results in a file that is not natively supported on OS X at the moment.

I'm guessing this is an Apple bug.

sRaw files used to not be supported by OS X in the past which inspired me to compare against a full RAW sized photo converted to DNG.

RAW > DNG works.
rogerhoward

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 04:41:29 PM »

Ahhh shoot, yeah that's it - sRAW isn't supported in any of the Apple apps which depend on their system-wide camera support (Finder, Preview, Aperture, etc).

- Roger

-----

Roger Howard
Frez

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:47:53 PM »

That used to be the case, but sRaw is now actually supported by Finder, Preview etc.

DNG's made from sRaw are not supported however.
JukkaVuorinen

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 02:58:03 AM »

I'm thinking about starting to use DNG and I'm testing how would fit to my workflow.

One mentioned DNG strength has been something like: "You get correct preview when viewing files from other DNG compatable applications."

I just realized that my Os X 10.6.5 Finder shows DNG previews correctly when in icon mode or Cover Flow, but quick look, Preview or Finders Column mode preview images are not showing DNG Preview (I guess they're showing image based on DNG raw data, which of course doesn't show any changes I have made in LR (3.3).). Can anyone enlighten me why so? Is it just that Finder, Quicklook and Preview don't fully support DNG?

DNG is D700 NEF converted while importing to LR 3.3. Also tried to export with different compatibility settings but situation is always the same regardless whether I'm looking at DNG exported from LR, or Image in LR DB (with preview updated and metadata saved)

Thank you in advance,

Jukka
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: