The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 05:02:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Robocopy & RichCopy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Robocopy & RichCopy  (Read 2976 times)
amyers

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2010, 09:04:50 AM »

I'm trying to setup a backup process for my main archive drive (2TB drive with about 1TB of data) to 2 swapable 2TB USB 2 drives. Running on 64 bit Windows 7

I tried the Acronis True Image Home 2011 demo but ran into some problems. Some of them may have been user error and caused by not selecting the correct options or having enough free disk space, but the one killer was a problem where it locks up the computer durring reboot/shut down for HOURS. Reported on their forums but not repeatable by Acronis staff.  Sad

Is anyone using Robocopy or he latest incarnation RichCopy as part of their backup process? If so, any tips or tricks? If not, any warnings?

Any other recomended backup software for Windows 7 64?

Thank you,

Alan
BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 08:49:01 AM »

I use Acronis True Image 2009 to make an image of my operating system and c drive. I am using Windows 7 64 bit on two desktops, and Vista on a laptop and this works fine for both. I have not upgraded. I use sync back pro on all machines to run back ups. They let you do various types of back up. I use a daily mirror of my working files on a separate drive (separate from the OS) and mirror that weekly to a drive I swap offiste. I also use sync back pro to do the validated transfers and incremental backups to the archives.

Acronis makes a big file when making its images. I think the back up it makes balloons a bit to much for my taste.

I also let windows 7 do its own back up to a spare drive I have in a drive bay that I can remove. This is just my C drive with the OS and user files. I don't rely on this too much as my acronis image would probably be used for a bare metal install. I did this as a test with an old laptop and it was sweet. I was able to do an image, pull the drive, replace it with a new larger drive and reinstall everything in minutes with all saved settings. I think acronis is best used in that fashion. Sync Back pro is relatively cheap and pretty robust.

I have got to update my profile, as I have an i930 desktop running 12 gb and a 5770 video card, 5 hard drives in the box (one for os, one working, and two for ingestion and backups, and the one removable extra drive). I couldn't find what I needed so I built it myself, and my server box after that.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

www.BoglePhoto.com, blog at www.BoglePhoto.blogspot.com
PC AMD 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.6Ghz, Vista 32bit SP1,PS CS3, Lightroom 2, IIP, EM2, Dell Studio 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Vista 64 bit
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: