The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 06:38:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Backup, Versioning, Mirroring
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Backup, Versioning, Mirroring  (Read 1478 times)
Dale

View Profile Email
« on: November 14, 2010, 10:35:06 PM »

I have a question about backup of working files. Here's the situation, which is pretty much Figure 6.24 in the book...

• P Drive is main drive for working files (external)
  • E Drive is physical internal hard drive (2nd drive) holding backup of working files from P drive
  • T Drive is rotational external hard drive holding backup of working files from P drive

I am using SyncBack Pro and verifying the copies. I like the fact that it keeps the files in native format so corrupted proprietary files are not an issue.

Question One
Should the P->E and P->T be backups, versioned, or mirrored?

The figure in the book shows mirrored, and my preference is mirrored. One reason is simplicity which is highly important. When I rename a file or move it on P, I have a clean copy of what's on P. Another reason is that it keeps the backups from filling up. A third reason is that if you had to do a complete restore you wouldn't have to go through and weed out old files.

My fear is this. I once synced a directory between my computer and my son's (using the precursor of Windows Live Sync if I recall right). One of the hard drives crashed; it thought all the files were deleted from the drive; therefore it deleted them off the other drive as well. It put them all in the recycle bin so they were recoverable, and I had a backup anyway. But if the backup is a mirror, then I'm concerned about propagating a failure if the P or E drive crashes.

Dale

Dale
patrickcorrigan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 11:50:24 PM »

I don't use SyncBack Pro, but generally the advantage of versioning is that if you accidentally delete or corrupt a file you have the previous version available. With mirroring corrupted or damaged files can be mirrored (assuming the problem isn't a disk error) and deleted files are deleted from the mirrored drive as well.

Patrick

Patrick
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: