The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 06:59:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  LR3, A3, EM, iPhoto, and photo books
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: LR3, A3, EM, iPhoto, and photo books  (Read 2506 times)
doktorwise

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2010, 07:49:51 PM »

I've been using EM since upgrading from iView. I like it fine for managing my files, but I really need something that can handle non-destructive editing, so I downloaded trials of Lightroom and Aperture. Both are good and worked fine, but each had features that have made it difficult to decide between them. Here's some of my considerations:

--Over the years, I have made extensive use of the iView/Expression Media "people" field, and there is no easy way to migrate all that info over to another software package. (I know, I can manually convert them all to keywords, but I've got over 20,000 images and I don't even know how many hundreds of people, so it would be tedious.)
--I REALLY like Apple's photo books, and I'm going to be making a few of them in the coming months. That argues for Aperture.
--I preferred Lightroom's interface, and it seemed a bit zippier on my hardware. I also am more comfortable with the number of pros that use it, and of Adobe's commitment to the photo industry -- I worry that Apple might pull the plug on Aperture someday. This all argues for Lightroom, although it is more expensive.

So what I really want is LR's interface, with Aperture's photo books feature. As I see it, here are my options:

--Get LR, and export processed images to a folder that I can import into iPhoto, and make my Apple photo books from there. The downside is that I don't get A3's photo book refinements, I'm stuck with whatever they have in iPhoto.
--Get A3, and deal with the speed issues and interface that I don't like as much by visiting a therapist.

So my question is how to deal with the DAM issue here. Should I continue to use EM for that part, and just use either A3 or LR for image processing? Or should I go whole hog into either A3 or LR and one of them for both DAM and image processing? If I do that, which is the better choice from a DAM point of view? That could be the issue that decides it for me, as I would like to minimize the number of software programs I have to use.

Put more succinctly, it looks like I have 4 basic options:

EM for DAM, LR for processing, iPhoto for books
EM for DAM, A3 for processing and books
LR for DAM and processing, iPhoto for books
A3 for everything

Thanks,
chris
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: