Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Question about Buckets and Derivative Files
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2020, 06:19:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Question about Buckets and Derivative Files
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question about Buckets and Derivative Files  (Read 5373 times)
Greg Koch

View Profile Email
« on: November 01, 2010, 12:01:18 PM »

Hi, gang.

I may have missed this part in Peter's book, but when I'm creating buckets for my RAW files (e.g., RAWBLU) and buckets for my derivative files (e.g., BLUDRV) how do I sync them up such that the derivative file whose master exists in RAWBLU042 can be found in BLUDRV0042?  Because it seems really inefficient for me to go looking for a file to match a master in one folder (RAWBLU042) if the derivative is placed in a folder with a different numeric value (BLUDRV078).

Which brings me to this: Should I have both a Master_Files folder and a Derivative_Files folder located inside each bucket such that within the folders inside BUCKET0042 I can find both the specific master and the derivative files?

I'm thinking that I have a fundamental misunderstanding of how buckets work.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »

Greg

Making the numbers match up will be a huge effort, not least because a master and derivative file are likely to be very different in terms of disc space. But why does it actually matter "that the derivative file whose master exists in RAWBLU042 can be found in BLUDRV0042" ?

Think of buckets in terms of the physical storage, for making the best use of space, controlling your backup's completeness and ensuring a post-crash reconstruction would be easy and complete. For finding files, rely on keywords or other metadata.

John
Greg Koch

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »

John,

Thanks for the reply.  You summed it up: I can rely on searches with keywords and meta-.  I'd been wondering whether or not folks were using another means of searching for master/derivative files.  At first glance, it just seemed intuitive to keep them together.

Thanks again,
Greg
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 07:16:10 PM »

Greg,

Yes it does seem intuitive, but you are missing a fundamental concept here; and that is derivatives may be created far in the future from their raw counterparts.  To put them in the same bucket would create problems with your backups.  Remember from the book that buckets should be additive in terms of backups to both simplify the process and preserve the integrity of the deep archive.  Always place your newly created raws and derivatives in your current working bucket, then use your catalog sets, keywords, etc. to co-locate them as desired.  And remember, 3-2-1 backups applies to your catalog(s) as well.  Hope that helps in addition to John's advice.

Peter/John, sorry to have been away so long.  I've just been spread so thin this past year that I had to get focused and make some sacrifices: social networking and forums I'm afraid had to be two of them.  Thanks though for keeping me on board.  I will try to continue to help as I can find the time.  If you find you need someone more consistently though, I certainly understand.  Hope you two are both doing well.  And Peter, hope to see you at SB3 Chicago.

Best -
Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Greg Koch

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 12:46:39 PM »

Dan,

Thanks for the reply.  After reading your first sentence, I realized how silly I was to forget something that simple.  Sometimes, my ignorance never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks again,
Greg
george

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 11:15:51 AM »

Hi Greg,

I hope you don't mind my saying so, but I think you're being too hard on yourself.  This stuff isn't easy, and there's certainly no shame in overlooking a particular point.  Computers and digital imaging are great, and there's no way I would want to go back.  Nonetheless, the process of archiving film and print media is in many ways simpler than digital.

--George
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 06:22:32 PM »

I read the first edition of the book three or four times and the second just as many, and if I were to read it again, I would learn something new.  I tapped Peter's brain with nit-picky questions more times than I would ever want to admit.  I guess the best advice I could give is keep digging and have faith that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  It's really not as bad as we make it out to be.  How many times have we found that to be true :-).

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: