The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 07:08:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  A question on setting for Chronosync
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A question on setting for Chronosync  (Read 12889 times)
ThomasImaging

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2010, 07:58:52 PM »

Hello friends,
Im using Chronosync 4.1 to backup my drives, I just have the basic backup where I'm duplicating everything on one drive to another, (left to right).
I do this manually with no automatic back ups.
I've noticed that the right target, my back up drive is larger in size due to archived items being stored on that drive by Chronosync, do I need this ?, I'd rather have both drives be exactly the same size (exact replicas of each other).
If I do not need this, can someone show me the settings to disable this, also if possible I'd like to see what settings you use for just a basic backup of one drive to another.
Thanks.
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:50:15 PM »

In the center section of the "Setup" tab make sure Synchronize Deletions is checked and Archive replaced files is not.  On the target side where it says "When deleting files:", set that to "delete immediately".

That will have the effect of making the target drive mirror the source.  Whether that's a wise way to work or not depends on your particular circumstances and what you are trying to accomplish.  Personally I rather like the Archive function.  It protects me against doing something stupid... and I can certainly do stupid things from time to time.  If I delete a file by accident... or maybe I save over a perfect master file with an erroneous edit... I have a chance to go into the archive and retrieve a prior version of the file to recover from my mistakes.  If an exact mirrored copy is my only backup, the backup simply mirrors the mistakes I made on the original drive.  If I don't catch the mistake before the next backup, any chance of recovering from my mistake is lost.

Bob Smith
ThomasImaging

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 11:39:48 PM »

Thank you Bob, thats just what I was looking for.
ThomasImaging

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »

While backing one drive up fron another I got this error message: [2010-11-04 23:05:06 -0700] *** Error: The operation failed because the user does not have the correct access to the file or folder.

Anybody know how I can correct my setting so I dont get this error, I'm on Chronosync 4.1.1
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:17:16 AM »

make sure that the "Connect To:" drop down menu is set to "Local Volumes (Admin Access)" on both sides.  Not having admin access on one side or the other means you won't have read/write privileges on some system level files... with the result being errors like you are seeing.

Bob Smith
ThomasImaging

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 09:06:29 PM »

Thanks again Bob.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: