Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Workflow specifics from LR 3 to cataloging software and archive
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2020, 06:57:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Workflow specifics from LR 3 to cataloging software and archive
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Workflow specifics from LR 3 to cataloging software and archive  (Read 2695 times)
btfitz

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »

Hello there,

I've read both editions of the DAM book, which I love, but I still have questions about my archiving workflow.   Namely, when should I archive my photos?  I use II Pro to ingest images and then handle all editing and rating with LR3.  I typically convert to DNG upon ingestion.  Once I'm done with all my editing I feel like I'm ready for archiving into my Extensis Portfolio master catalog.  However, my images are still in the original client/project/number folders created by II Pro.  Do I import them into my cataloging software as they are, then move them to my Tranfer_Me folder on my main computer and THEN break them up (using LR) into DVD-bucket-sized folders before doing a validated transfer to my external archive drive?  Or do I move them to the Transfer_Me folder, break them into DVD-sized folder buckets, and then archive them prior to doing the validated transfer to my external archive drive?   My confusion is that, if I add them to my archive before breaking them into DVD-sized buckets, won't it be trouble to point the thumbnails catalog to the proper location...especially if a single shoot is now spread out over more than one RAW dvd-sized bucket (folder)?     Or, should I add them first to the archive and then use Extensis Portfolio to create new buckets, etc?

Thanks for your help!  I'm probably thinking too hard about this. 

Brian
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: