Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
some general questions
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2020, 10:55:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  some general questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: some general questions  (Read 4687 times)
christian

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2010, 01:09:04 AM »

i work as locationscout and want to bring some order into my files. until now i´m just keeping my photos in folders structured in jobs but they´re too many now. em2 might be a good choice. but the process of organisation is probably different from what photographers do. i need many many keywords to have a precise overview of each location and to be abled to answer even special request fast. i expect my archive to contain in between 5.000 to 10.000 locations (now about 3.000) with each between 10 up to 200 pics (small size of app. 1,5 mb). so many folders but not so much data. can someone answer the following questions?

- which amount of media can be administrated in one catalog? up to 400 gb? around 200.000 photos? or more?
-can one search be performed in different catalogs at the same time?
-is it possible to have acces to the programm from another computer, so is there a multi-user edition?
-is it possible to establish a hierachy or different fields for the keywords? how many keywords can be used? 500? 1000? or ist it possible to establish an "external" or general keyword catalog outside of catalogs that can be added to them?
-can the web-presentation be connected to my website so that my customers can view the locations on it?

thanks for your help,
christian
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 02:55:24 PM »

EM is a very good tool to bring structure into your archive. You could also use the 'placefinder' field instead of keywords only.
In 1 catalog you can put about 128.000 images and it can be max 2 Gb, these are the 'official' numbers.
However, you can use multple catalogs at the same time, even search through them simultaneously!

EM is a single user program but you can access the catalog from another computer, only not at the same time.
Hierachy in keywords is possible with "Hierachical Keywords" but a better option is 'Catalog Sets' i think. I don't think there is a limit on how many keywords could be used.
I think an external Keyword catalog can be uses but i'm not familiar with that option.
You can integrate the web-presentation (HTML galery in EM) into your own website, there is an FTP client in EM for the upload onto the server.

Roelof
christian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 03:27:15 AM »

thank you!
Shellshock

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 03:35:04 AM »

Expression Media is at the core of my DAM.
The HTML Gallery generation is one of EM's really strong points for me. It is ultimately customisable and can be incorporated seamlessly into an existing website. Once you've got the template you need it's also dead easy to update and evolve it. EM has a powerful and flexible set of macros to expose the contents of your catalog and metadata in more ways than you likely would ever use.

For one example of how this can be applied have a look at this open wedding gallery.

George.

Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 04:15:09 AM »

Ik know how to make galleries wieht Expression Media but how do You integrate them in an existing website?
What i meen is; how do you 'update' the homepage when a subpage (lets say wedding x) is added?
I don't think it's possible to make the complete website with EM (from toplevelsite to all subsites)..
Roelof
Shellshock

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 04:46:28 PM »

That is true. EM will not provide this on it's own - it's just one part of a bigger solution.

To achieve this level of integration you are going to need to use additional technologies.
An obvious approach, although very tekky, would be to build a dynamic top level page, or a dynamic index page.
This would read a list of galleries say from a MySQL database on your server each time the page was served up.

So you'd be looking at integrating MySQL, some server-side scripting, like PHP and an admin page that would make it easier for someone within the business to add new gallery data to the database.

This is actually what I used to provide on my site - a 'wedding gallery' page that dynamically listed each of the galleries present in a database. Each gallery is a separate (password protected) static HTML page generated using EM's gallery utility. Each time I generated a gallery and uploaded it to the website I'd 'add' the gallery (name and thumbnail image) to the database.

George.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: