The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 04:52:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  DNG
| | |-+  Convert JPG to DNG
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Convert JPG to DNG  (Read 8116 times)
RicGN

View Profile Email
« on: October 23, 2010, 03:16:43 PM »

How can I get ImageIngesterPro to convert JPG's to DNG's when I tell it to in the File Handling section?

The latest Adobe DNG Converter software (v. 6.2) will convert JPG to DNG, but ImageIngesterPro doesn't seem to allow it.

I don't care about file size, and I like to keep all downloads in DNG format.

I'd prefer not to use Lightroom to convert to DNG. Waste of time if ImageIngesterPro can do it.

I use a Windows Vista32 platform (soon to be Windows7-64bit).

Thanks, Ric

BeckyMalaria

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »

Hi Ric,

Did you ever solve this problem?

I am using DNG Converter 6.3.079 and it does not convert JPG to DNG. It skips those files.

Image Ingester Pro yields a folder with no DNG files. I get the JPGs plus an additional XMP file for each JPG.

Is there ANY way to do this without Lightroom?

-Becky
BeckyMalaria

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:57:23 AM »

Well, a baby step forward,

Following advice found here
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/398363

I opened a JPEG image in Camera Raw. By choosing Save Image (lower-left button in CS4) you get an option to save as DNG.

You can select all images in a folder and save them as DNG this way.

-Becky
BeckyMalaria

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:31:36 AM »

One more from me!

I sort of found a way to do this, posted about here:

http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=4878.msg27420#msg27420

Now I am trying to get my ACR edits, made in Bridge to the DNG, to show up in Expression. I started with a JPEG, converted it to DNG through Camera Raw with no changes.

I then made obvious edits in ACR to the DNG in Bridge/Camera Raw, clicked Done. The thumbnail in Bridge updated.

The folder was not yet in my EM2 catalog, so I imported it. The thumbnail for the DNG did not reflect my edits. I tried Rebuild Item; no change.

If I make the PIE edits in Camera Raw PRIOR to saving the image as DNG, they do show in the thumbnail when importing to EM2. However, if I make a further PIE edit in Camera Raw, and click Done to dismiss ACR, the thumbnail doesn't change in EM2. I tried Rebuild Item; no change.

I then removed the folder from the catalog and re-imported. My original PIE edits showed up, but not the second set. Again, no change with Rebuild Item.

If I choose Save Image within ACR (instead of "Done") I get a second DNG -- it doesn't replace the first one -- and this second DNG does reflect my most recent PIE edited in the EM2 thumbnail.

So, all of this is basically evidence in favor of Peter's recommendation in the DAM book that you make your edits before cataloguing in EM2; once they're in the catalogue, that is the "permanent" home and if you make PIE edits later it should be treated as a derivative file workflow.

Again... Picasa sucks for a lot of reasons... but for PIE editing on the fly, albeit with a limited toolset, it was super smooth... grass is always greener, I guess.

-Becky
BeckyMalaria

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 09:47:30 AM »

Agg... I apologize, this was supposed to be a response in a different thread, and I'm not seeing a way to delete.

-Becky
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: