The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 05:06:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Comments about the book
| | |-+  DAM & Library Science
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DAM & Library Science  (Read 7247 times)
lgude

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2010, 07:54:37 AM »

I recently purchased the Dam Book along with the MS Expression Media offer and I very happy to get a good cataloging program regardless of what I end up using for editing my digital photos. As I have gotten into the first chapters I found myself recalling graduate work in Library Science I did in the 1960s that involved the classifying and cataloging of both book and non-book materials as we thought of them back then. Put it this way - 'non-book' materials have come a long way since then, but some of the problems of archiving and finding things have remained unchanged. Like when to use a standardized list of subject headings or 'keywords'. I want to complement Peter on producing a work that is on a par with the kind of texts I had to deal with in library school but is rather more engagingly written. I have only read about 20% of the book so far but already I can see that it will go a long way to understanding and solving a long time problem I've had - also from the 60s. I had group of poet friends from my time at college who have become reasonably well known. I wasn't much of a poet but did want to be a photographer and I took many pictures of them. Fortunately I made prints for anyone who wanted them at the time and quite a few have found their way into print in various anthologies. I still have the negatives and know it is not enough to scan them - they need all the metadata that can be dug up about them to be fully useful. I think between the Dam Book and Expression media I may just get them under control. Thanks Peter! lgude
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: