Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Updating catalog
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 09:49:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Updating catalog
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Updating catalog  (Read 3807 times)
okephoto

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:47:41 AM »

I have uploaded the demo version of Expression Media with hopes of switching over from Extensis Portfolio. So far everything has worked as planned and expected except for one issue?

When I first work with new images I do basic labeling and keywording using PhotoMechanic. When these images are cataloged by Expression Media the keywords and other tags are extracted which is what one would expect.

I have the folders set to auto update every minute so as I work with my NEF images and save them as TIFF images Expression Media catalogs the photo. This works well for my workflow. What I'm finding Expression Media will not do is update an image if the only change is additional keywording.  I'm finding I have to select the images in Expression Media and use the sync annotations command, not very efficient when working with thousands of images.

Am I missing something here or is this just the way the program works?

Thanks,
Kevin
Shellshock

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 04:21:36 PM »

From what I understand this is the way EM works. EM is image cataloging software - all of the metadata you store about images is stored within EM's own database. That catalog database is maintained independently of the images it references (and that is why you need to be maintaining a backup of your catalog in addition to your images). This seems natural. Whilst there are fields within say the JPEG file format for storing keywords, EM allows the user more metadata than is specified in a particular file format or IPTC metadata (for example EM catalog sets). This also makes for more efficient searching - for example searching a database of 10,000 images for 'family birthday' is always going to be quicker than scanning 10,000 image files for the same. So as far as I am aware then you are correct - updating EM keywords only updates the EM database, and not the referenced images, until such time as you synch the annotations back to the image files. To do otherwise would also have an impact on your backups. nb, each time you update keywording you only have to make a new backup of the catalog - as opposed ot 'deprecating' the backed version of the image and making a new backup of the image with the updated metadata.

regards
George.

Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 03:16:03 AM »

Also it's possible that you have personal notes (about pricing i.e.) about an image that you don't want to be synchronized into the image.
Roelof
mguoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 04:47:02 AM »

Kevin,
you are not missing anything, that is what the command "update" do: it simply looks at new files in the folder you are pointing at. Any changes in metadata applied within another program (I suppose is your case, you did not specified it) is not seen by EM. EM updates metadata only with the command "sinchronize", as you already discovered.
Marco

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: