Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Rating not syncing
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 10:22:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Rating not syncing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rating not syncing  (Read 5259 times)
FrancisVachon

View Profile Email
« on: October 19, 2010, 04:52:55 AM »

Hi!

I'M testing EM and so far so good. One thing does not seem to work as expected tho.

When I sync my files, the rating does not seem to go thru. I can't see the new rating in Photomechanic or Photoshop. Am I supposed to?

Francis
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:09:52 PM »

Hi,

What file format are you syncing to? Expression Media will only sync metadata that the file format can accept.

Ratings are part of the XMP spec. Formats that can use XMP and Ratings include JPEG, TIFF and DNG.

Proprietary raw formats like NEF and CR2 do not. You could export XMP sidecar files in Expression Media but I don't recommend it.

OK the latest version of the Nikon NEF file format (new camera models introduce new versions) does use XMP but only in Nikon View and Nikon Capture. AFAIK Nikon have not updated their SDK or WIC for third party vendors to let them write XMP safely to NEFs. DNG anyone?

-- Robert.

FrancisVachon

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:00:30 AM »

They are JPGs or DNG.

I tested some more and it becomes even more confusing:

If the file have no rating yet, if I add a rating in EM and then sync, it will sync.

If I change a rating on a photo with an existing rating, then it will NOT sync.

As long as the photo was "rating-free", I can change it in EM. If it's a photo from my archive that HAVE a rating, then I'm stuck with it - I can change it in EM, but if I ever change my DAM software the new rating will not go thru.

I can can change it outside EM, and then import it, but it's inconvenient...
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 06:04:56 AM »

Francis-

1. I don't think Photoshop (I am using CS3) displays a "Ratings" field in its File Info. I checked, and don't see it anywhere.
However, this does not mean that your Ratings are not part of the file. Even as basic an app as Windows Photo Gallery displays a Rating for a sync'd file.

2. From the very beginning, I've used a recommendation from Peter's DAM book:
In Keywords, also include a keyword for any rating you give.

-If I give an image a 1-star rating, I also add a keyword "1star" to the file.

-If I give an image a higher rating, I make sure I include keywords for the rating and lesser ratings:
A 3-star rating has keywords: 3star, 2star, 1star.
(the idea is that when you search for 1-star items by keyword, you probably really mean "1 star or higher". By including the lesser star ratings in a 3-star item, it will also come up in a keyword search for "1star"

I really like this Rating+keyword idea. Keywords are rock solid, and are always carried with the image and successfully displayed in another DAM app. Ratings (at least used to be) a bit less solid in terms of saving, porting, etc.

Hope that is of some help. --
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 06:08:45 AM »

Make that:

Hope that is of some help. --Bill
(my comment somehow got posted before I finished)

Btw
- is there no "edit your post" button, or did I miss something obvious?
- in "Preview", the word "null" appears at the end of the Preview. Apparently it does not appear in the post itself.

--Bill
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 03:52:33 PM »

Francis,

Of course xMedia should update ratings in your JPEG and DNG. Why they are not doing so I don't know.

Can you try updating the ratings in an image, sync annotations (Action > Sync Annotations), then close xMedia. Open a new xMedia catalog and import that test file. If the rating sticks then xMedia is writing the rating into metadata. Perhaps the other apps are just not reading it? I've seen various apps including Expression Media, Adobe and Photo Mechanic ignore all XMP metadata if they see any legacy IPTC first.

-- Robert.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: