Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Newbie Qs about Geotagging with Canon dSLR
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2021, 09:50:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  GPS/ Geotagging
| | |-+  Newbie Qs about Geotagging with Canon dSLR
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Newbie Qs about Geotagging with Canon dSLR  (Read 26910 times)
Roger Spencelayh

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 02:50:12 PM »

- my iPhone 3GS drains in maybe 2 hours (or less?), if I recall correctly, when using the GPS this way.

Just in case anyone is looking at using GPS on a Smartphone (and not trying to get into an anti-Apple war here  Wink ) using an HTC Desire a couple of weeks ago I got about 7 hours life from the battery with GSM, 3G and GPS on (and with it automatically checking for mail every hour). Full track log written for the whole 7 hours. And then the battery died  Shocked

Roger
jonb

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 01:30:30 PM »

One other reason for using tracklogs is that if you use multiple cameras it's easier than having a separate dedicated GPS device for each camera. I've been using Breeze Systems' Downloader Pro to download and IPTC tag/caption my files from up to 4 cameras and it reads my Garmin's .GPX files to tag the photos. The GPS supports displaying time to the nearest second, so a photo of the system's display with each camera at the start of the day (or syncing the cameras with the GPS) is a relatively painless method of ensuring there isn't a problem with clock drift.

There's an interesting article here on the process and pitfalls of working with a light camera-based geotagging system at the current time.

Jon
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: