The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 02:36:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  Application recommendations for picky user
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Application recommendations for picky user  (Read 3008 times)
Polydactyl

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2010, 05:04:11 AM »

I'm looking for recommendations on some basic photo management software for Mac, but I can't seem to find something that works without spending $200 or more.  I'm just trying to manage our growing collection of family pictures and keep them organized in a way that will be useful in the long term.

My must have requirements are:
  • Decent Keyword capability that writes directly the the photo (this rules out iPhoto and Aperature)
  • Easy interface to browse, filter, and look at photos

Picasa fails miserably (for me) on the usability front: can't reorder photos, can't filter on photos that are untagged, and that scroll bar is the worst for large folders.  It takes me about a minute to scroll to the newest photos at the bottom.

I do very little editing/photoshopping so something like Adobe Lightroom is probably overkill.  I am using the 30-day evaluation of it right now and I do like it...but $200+ is a little steep for what I need.   I keep all my photos (6000+ and growing) in a single directory, and the keywords and date taken in the metadata are the basis of my efforts to organize them.   Other than occasionally emailing a few pictures to family I don't share the online.

The list of programs I've tried is long (ACDSee, Kodak Easyshare, Lightzone, Canon's software, Adobe Creative Suite, Bluemarine, and it goes on) but everytime I search for more options there seems to be a bottomless well of 3rd rate apps, which makes me think maybe there is something good out there that I have missed.

I'm a recent convert to Apple.  When I was running Windows, the [free] Windows Live Photo Gallery was good enough.

If I can't find anything I'll probably cave and buy Lightroom someday, but I feel like that would be like buying a car because I needed a radio!

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.
Sigi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »

Hi,

have a look at Ant Zero - I have tried the demo version and it works very well. I t will cost you Euro 59 - http://www.antzero.com/antweb/index.php

Siegfried
Polydactyl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:11:56 PM »

Sigfried,

Good find.  The keywords/thesaurus aspect is a little less than intuitive, but it met all the basic requirements.  I've also discovered that most Adobe suites include a program called Bridge which has a lot of this same functionality.  Adobe Photoshop Elements is about the same price and seems to be the most cost effective way to get a copy of Bridge.

Thanks.

D
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: