The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 08:54:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Loss and Recovery
| | |-+  Image/Picture Recovery from Sandisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC card using a Mac?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Image/Picture Recovery from Sandisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC card using a Mac?  (Read 5690 times)
raphael

View Profile Email
« on: September 01, 2010, 05:03:50 AM »

Hi guys,

I am looking for tried-and-true, solid Recovery software to use with my iMac.

There are about 400 images that were deleted from my Sandisk Extreme 32 GB card. I tried one piece of software and got partial recovery, but the recovered files are tiny and therefore not usable.

Sandisk suggests Rescue PRO from lc-tech. Sandisk covers the cost and it's free. It works on Mac and PC.

I am wondering what publications like Life, National Geographic, etc use when they have to recover deleted image files. Apparently, recovering images is not the same as recovering data.

Any feedback would be immensely helpful, as there are a lot of software out there, but....?

Thanks a million,

Raphael
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 05:16:29 AM »

Raphael,
None of the recovery software should be altering the images on the card, so you should be able to try multiple software if one does not succeed.

This software will generally first look for directory information that has been discarded, to see if it can tell them what is there. (When you erase an image or format a card, you are generally not actually erasing the bits, just telling the computer or camera not to pay attention to what's there. THe bits only get reased when you shoot new pictures and the card needs to space.)

If directory information can't be found, then the programs will scavenge through the bits, looking for stuff it recognizes "oh, here is some data that looks like a particular file type, let's follow these until we see a typical end of that type of file".  If the software does not know the structure of your camera's filetype, then it will have a much harder time doing this.  The small images it has found may be embedded JPEG thumbnails. Can you see the size of these photos in megabytes?

THe bottom line is that I would try with different software until one can find the files.  If no shooting has been done since the format, then likelihood of recovery is very good.

Peter
raphael

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:20:04 AM »

Richard,

I am so happy to get your response.
I had a sense Sandisk, as a pre-eminent memory card manufacturer, would sponsor the right Recovery software; but it is very comforting to get actual feedback!
I am heading to the Apple store this pm and have a trainer babysit me while I go through the process; I am not comfortable doing it alone and Apple is very accommodating - a great boon if you ask me.

Thank you so very much!

Raphael

PS   Nice portfolio!
raphael

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 06:29:59 AM »

Thank you Peter.
The information you are offering is very useful in understanding the process - and my odds.
Particularly the part about using different software until I get what I am after. Also, what DELETE actually does and implies.
There's nothing like getting into a pickle to learn and grow; and at the end of this process I'll feel better and be wiser. I think that, by this afternoon, I'll be reunited with my pictures. Wow.
Thanks again,
Raphael
raphael

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 05:25:49 PM »

So, I went to the Genuis Bar at the Apple store.
We tried to use Rescue PRO with the Sandisk-provided activation code, but the software rejected it.
So, we tried the demo version instead.
It Recovered a few frames, as programmed, and each of these frames were 4 KB - NOT the original 12 MPixels. Were these frames merely meant to view recovered files whereas the full software restores the entire file?
There were also some damaged files (?).
I asked Sandisk to a) supply me with a code    that works and, b) answer my questions about the 4 KB files  .
Let's see.

Raphael
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 07:35:17 PM »

Like Peter said... you may need to try a few different software packages to find what works with you particular files.  I've probably had the best luck with the "thorough" scan mode in Data Rescue II (I haven't upgraded to v3 yet).  I also have RescuPro and PhotoRescue.  They've all worked well in various circumstances but Data Rescue II has been the most versatile and most often successful. It's useful for finding more than just images; and it can do large hard drives, not just camera cards.

I spend part of my workday in an education environment.  Students continually invent new ways to accidentally hose images.  All of the above have been useful.

Bob Smith
raphael

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 08:20:21 PM »

Thank you Bob. I am beginning to get the picture. I think I will have to get what I can from each Recovery piece of software. Data Rescue has yielded perhaps 20%-30% of the images. I will have to use several different ones and delete duplicates I think. Do you agree?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: