Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
EM 2, Snow Leopard and slow JPEG Rotate
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 07:40:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  EM 2, Snow Leopard and slow JPEG Rotate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EM 2, Snow Leopard and slow JPEG Rotate  (Read 4841 times)
Mathias L

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2010, 01:13:52 PM »

Anyone else noticed that JPEG Rotate works much slower under Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) than under the previous systems up to 10.5?
Rotating takes approximately 2-4 times longer than before, if not more. Rotating some 100 jpegs, mostly 6Mb but some 10-14 and some 2 Mb, takes around 20 minutes on my dual core Macbook Pro.
To me this is a serious problem since I often work with photographed text which should be portrait-oriented (and not only look like it is).
 A year ago i actually downgraded my OS when I ran into this the first time (it had some other graphics bugs as well) but now it seems I can't put upgrading off any longer. I've waited for either Apple or Microsoft (or PhaseOne) to do something, but no one seems to have even noticed.
Or is there a known remedy?

Mathias L
Mathias L

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:30:57 AM »

Bumping the thread, yes... I actually timed my Macbook pro 2,26 GHz Intel core duo with Snow Leopard against my 5 yrs old iMac G5 (single core) with Leopard and - the G5 won. Leopard rotates JPEGs 50 percent faster than the Snow Leopard.
Now, why?
Mathias L

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 05:09:43 AM »

Done some more research. The Mac OS Activity Monitor shows that EM2 uses up to 60 % of the CPU for 17 threads while rotating images under Leopard, but only around 10 % of the CPU for 10 threads doing the same under Snow Leopard. Likewise the use of memory is much higher under Leopard.
This must be part of the answer, but what can you do about it?
Mathias L
Mathias L

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 08:03:20 AM »

Some more findings:
- the problem actually occurs only if you have the EM2 window with the progress bar visible. If you cover it up after you've started the operation for example with a Finder window, EM2 actually works lightning fast. The speed increase while covering the window is very noticeable.
No explanation still.
I've noticed something similar with the app Amadeus Pro (audio) under both Leopard and Snow Leopard. With Amadeus the window with the progress bar needs to be minimized during work. It significantly speeds up for example encodings.
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 02:40:56 PM »

Maybe you look in the options of both these programs & see if there is an option to disable the progress bar? or minimize it? there is also another snowleopard update to 10.6.5, I dont know what you have now.

Sossity C.
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 02:42:06 PM »

just another thought, perhaps adjust the size of your thumbnails to be the smallest you can but still big enough that you can see.

Sossity C.
Mathias L

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 10:35:50 PM »

With Amadeus Pro you can mimimize the progress bar along with the file window, yes. That's when I noticed the phenomena. With EM2 just covering it up is enough. But that's of course not how it should be. I suspect that the problem is somewhere on the OS side. And yes, I always keep it updated.
Mathias Luther
rogerhoward

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »

Just a guess, but Snow Leopard introduced Quicktime X and deprecated the legacy Quicktime APIs (though they are still available). EM2 has long used Quicktime APIs for generating thumbnails/previews of many file types, and EM hasn't been significantly overhauled since long before Snow Leopard. It sounds at least probable that the issue relates to the use of the legacy Quicktime APIs - it'd be a big surprise to me if such a big performance hit resulted from drawing a simple status bar update.

Just a guess of course, and there's nothing you can do to test this I suppose Smiley

-Roger

-----

Roger Howard
Mathias L

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 04:21:29 AM »

Now here's more:
When EM2 works as front application on JPEG Rotate it uses around 5 percent of the processor (setup: MB Pro, OSX 10.6.5). Cover up the main EM2 window with for example a Finder window, and the percentage increases to around 24, as does the speed. Cover up the progress bar too, and the percentage increases to 60-70, and now you're done!
If you hide EM2, the same thing happens. Since the EM2 won't take any commands while the rotating is in progress, you have to do it from another application ("Hide others") and if you want to observe the processor usage that has to be Activity Monitor.
Not practical for everyday work but it sure demonstrates the effect very clearly.
Ho, Apple, what's going on?
Mathias Luther
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: