The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 12:04:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Software Discussions
| | |-+  DAM Software choices for Mac user.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DAM Software choices for Mac user.  (Read 2309 times)
Richardjoseph

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2010, 05:40:21 AM »

I am a photographer with a library of around 6,000 images mostly 35mm colour slide and black and white 35mm negatives, ( plus more recently jpegs), over the last 30 years.  The collection is largely uncatalogued and not well organised.  I desperately want to digitalise these images and catalogue them as ultimately I want to establish an online photo library.

Currently I use a Macbookpro, Imac desktop, Vivitar 6.2 mega pixel digital camera.  The first job I need to do is scan my collection.  I have an Artiscan 4000T which cans up to 4,000 dpi but what file size should I be aiming for as ultimately the images just have to look reasonable on a computer screen.  The Artiscan produces either jpeg or tiff files.  Will this be a problem at the cataloguing stage?  Do members know of an alternative scanning/copying process?

The software choice for Mac users initially appears limited as I have read good reviews of Idimager and Imatch but they are both Windows applications only.

The scanned images will have to be imported to the Mac on a disc as the Artiscan only has a scsi card and does not connect to my Mac.

I don't plan on altering the images very much.  They will all be full frame and no changes to the colour balance etc.

The choice of Mac software is the next problem area as I don't know whether I need just one or a combination of different software to handle my workflow.  There will be jpeg images plus I intend in future to shoot in RAW.  I take maybe 200-300 images per month.

The software needs to:

1.  Catalogue my images.
2.  Provide keywording and metadata.
3.  Be relatively simple to use ( I would prefer just one programme to learn) and inexpensive.

Bearing in mind my ultimate aim would be the online photo library should I be looking purely at Pieware like Aperture or lightroom or go for only catalogue software. Maybe there's some great photo library software out there that I haven't heard of yet.

This is my current predicament and all comments/advice from members would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Richard
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 08:05:06 PM »

Richard,
You sound like a great candidate for Lightroom.
Peter
Mathias L

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 04:24:04 AM »

I digitized my collection of roughly 50 000 negatives and slides using a Minolta scanner (5400HS), Vuescan as driver and  iView Media/ Expression Media 1-2 as DAM.
Each link matters: The scanner should be able to do batch scans (you don't want to forward every single frame manually), the driver should be able to make a high quality scan directly because you cannot PP more than a fraction and it should have a sensible numbering system, finally the DAM should be able to embed keywords, batch rename, rotate JPEGs (not only the appearance) and move files between folders.
Expression Media has done very well for the money so far. There is a problem however with EM 2 in Snow Leopard that makes rotating JPEGs slow (about half speed). No other problem though.
Being able to embed the keywords and descriptions in the image files themselves is very essential since that makes it possible to switch to another cataloging solution later if need be, plus it keeps the words with the images at all times. Doing it without opening and re-saving the jpeg is necessary for image quality.
If Lightroom does it all it may be just as good.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: