Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Enhancement Suggestions
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2020, 09:06:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Enhancement Suggestions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Enhancement Suggestions  (Read 2318 times)
ianw

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2010, 04:22:36 AM »

Marc,

I have a couple of suggestions for improvements to ImageIngester.

I've taken a lot of images over the last couple of months, enough so that every week or so ImageIngester invites me to purge the log file and start afresh.  Each time I've declined this option, exited ImageIngester, navigated to where the log files are held and manually renamed it to include the date in the name.  Then I've restarted ImageIngester and carried on.  It would be good to have this as an option.  I prefer to keep the log files as they have provided the evidence when I've messed up the ingestion process and needed to see what went wrong.  Maybe the prompt could be a three way option e.g. to purge, to archive or to continue.  I'm not worried about the disk space as neglible compared to the photos I'm taking.

The second suggestion is more important to me as the workaround is a pain in the proverbial.  As I knew I was taking a lot more photos I invested in some more memory cards.  These are 16GB cards and I can get about 1,500 images on them.  I know there are various arguments about cards of this size - some valid, some not - and that's a discussion for another place and time.  I now have enough cards that I can go away for a week or more and not run out of space on my cards.  I would still be using my laptop as the primary storage.  Anyway the problem I have is that when doing the ingestion I sometimes need to select images by date.  This is only possible using the 'Thumbnail' selection option.  This is where ImageIngester 'fails' as with 1,500 images on a card it takes forever for it to get the thumbnails.  In fact I don't know how long it takes as I've always ended up killing off the process.  Once it has got to about 400 images it has used up all the memory on my laptop (4GB) and appears to grind to a halt.  The images are ORF raw files so it does have work to do to extract the thumbnails.  The change request would be to retain the selection functionality but to allow this to be done without the use of Thumbnails.  In the end I've copied images to my hard drive manually and used Bridge to do all the work that ImageIngester would have done, which is obviously more time consuming and less reliable - and defeats the object of using this software.

I hope I've described the above suggestions clearly enough.  For me they would make this excellent software much better!

Cheers,

Ian
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: