Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
iView vs Em2
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2020, 04:41:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  iView vs Em2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: iView vs Em2  (Read 4599 times)
DrewFulton

View Profile Email
« on: July 16, 2010, 04:55:48 PM »

Well, I have been a faithful user of iView for a long time and always had a license key to EM1 but never used it as I recall reading about bugs and iView was working just fine.  In any case, with Phase One now having bought EM, I now have EM2 installed.  I am thinking of upgrading all my catalogs for no other reason except that I have a handful of AI files that iView won't catalog (program crash) but a quick test shows that EM2 will.

Is there any reason I should stick with iView?  Is there much of a learning curve between the two programs or anything I should be aware of when I make the conversion and transition?

Thanks for any input.  I probably will make the jump this weekend sometime.

Best,
Drew
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 08:58:30 PM »

Not experienced with EM@ vs iView, but I will note: Peter and many of the "crowd" here that used iView made the switch to EM and EM2 and wouldn't go back, and ... the wife's studio was using iView and I just downloaded the EM2 from PhaseOne meself for her use. So we'll go through that "upgrade" ourselves pretty soon, be interested in any comments you have.

Niel

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 01:59:19 AM »

No reason to stay with iView MediaPro. The main complaint for xMedia 2 is that it is not that far removed from iVMP, otherwise it offers several improvements, not ÷east of which is speed.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
dlehoven

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 07:41:43 PM »

I too have been happily using iview for years, and, like you, was put off by all the EM bug rumors and general lack of support.  So I was thrilled by the latest developments, and have downloaded EM2 both at work (Windows) and at home (Mac) (I had 2 iview licenses; one of the big attractions was that I could learn one program for both platforms.)

So far I've only installed it on the Windows computer, and I've been very pleased.  I'm taking the opportunity to re-organize catalogs, so I am not directly moving my iview catalogs over into EM2, rather I am creating new catalogs and dropping images into them, and so far, it's all working pretty much just the way it did with iview, which is fine with me, since that's what I wanted.

Having EM2 installed on the computer changed out my old catalog icons to EM icons, which was alarming at first.  However, if I try opening them in iview, they open and work just as they did before (you have to close EM2 first). I mention this because you might find it reassuring to just back up your iview catalogs and leave them untouched, in case you decide you don't like EM2.  If you do open them with EM2 open, they open in EM2.

Haven't had a chance to try it on the Mac at home yet, but I'm optimistic.

Hope this helps.

Dinah
doktorwise

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 10:55:19 AM »

I recently upgraded from iView 3 to EM2 and couldn't be more pleased. It works much faster, and everything is pretty much the same in terms of the interface. I was thinking about moving to Aperture or LR, but now I don't think I need to. I'm on MacBook Pro 2.5gHz and my catalogs feel very zippy compared to how they handled in iView.

chris
DrewFulton

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:21:19 PM »

I made the jump after reading the first few responses and am quite pleased.  I haven't done much cataloging of new files yet but have been doing a lot of pulling old files and the search is a lot faster so thats great.

Can't wait to see what Phase One does to make EM3, or whatever it will be called, even better.

Drew
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: