Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Lightroom 3 is not faster
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2020, 09:23:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Lightroom 3 is not faster
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lightroom 3 is not faster  (Read 11272 times)
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »

In fact it's noticeably slower than LR 2.7 on my system (Quadcore with 8GB RAM and an average SATA drive).

Browsing through my catalogue is frustratingly slow now.  Anyone else experience this? 

Joe
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:39:59 PM »

Joe,
Are you still seeing this?  There are any number of things that could be going on. 
The first thing would be to see if it settles down over time.  There are a lot of background processes that could be happening - catalog upgrade stuff in the database itself, or preview re-creation.

How many images?

Is the catalog an upgrade, or a fresh catalog?

Did you ever load the beta?

Peter
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »

Peter,

I just saw that you replied...

It is not a fresh catalogue.  When I installed LR3 it asked me whether I wanted to upgrade the LR2 catalogue and I chose yes.  Should I have approached this differently?  Is it too late? 

I did install and uninstall LR3 beta a while a go.

Joe
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:31:41 PM »

Joe,
Do you routinely optimize the catalog when you close Lightroom?
Do you have lots of keywords?
How many images in the catalog?
When you say "browsing" what do you mean?  Scrolling in Grid?  Full Res browsing in Loupe view in Library?  Moving through images in Develop?

Have you built 1:1 previews of the images?

Peter
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 02:25:10 PM »

I did optimize the catalogue; it has about 20,000 images.

By browsing I mean moving from image to image in Library by clickling on the mini image at the bottom.  It's not full res, because the monitor has a lower resolution than the camera.  I have not generated full res previews; I never did in LR2 either.

Joe
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 09:32:15 AM »

Slowness in this kind of browsing is related to the way previews are handled. Is your standard-sized preview big enough to cover the window in use?  Have you told Lightroom to generate Standard-sized previews?  The first thing I would suggest is to build these.  You might even try to build them at multiple resolutions (testing the effect after each build) to see what is working best.

There's a lot of "predictive rendering" in Lightroom. That is, the engineers tell Lightroom to prepare screen pixels for what they expect you to do next. There are a lot of variations, including processor speed, available disk space, disk fragmentation, size of previews, size of screen setting.  And of course, some logic is built in to get the next set of screen pixels ready for you depending on what it thinks you are going to do next. Sometimes one thing in the set of expectations can slow down the whole process.

Also, are you running in 64 bit or 32 bit?

Peter
Doug

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 05:05:47 PM »

This out today:

Bugs Corrected in the Lightroom 3.2 Release Candidate

Library: Sub-optimal preview rendering performance could impact application performance
(among dozens of other bug fixes)
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2010/08/lightroom-3-2-and-camera-raw-6-2-available-on-adobe-labs.html

-Doug
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 04:58:13 PM »

Thanks Doug.  They really buried that one didn't they.

Joe
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 06:28:20 PM »

I installed the LR3.2 RC, and no longer have any complaints about the speed.  They seem to have fixed it.

Joe
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 08:07:44 PM »

I'm having some very frustrating speed problems with LR 3.2. Here's some info:

Mac Pro 2.66 Dual Core with 9gb memory
using internal hd
318,000 images
I optimize and check integrity of the catalog every day
most of my files are from 5DMII

I just imported pics from a job, converted to DNG, and then made 1:1 previews. Flipping through them in loupe view to mark selects often goes very slow (often 10 seconds + an image), with the loading icon popping up. Same if I make standard previews instead of 1:1. Other tasks often seem to go very slow as well. I'm shooting a lot now and very frustrated at how long things take with LR. I'd like to stick with it if I can get it going faster, because it's great software, and I love some of the new features in v 3.

If anyone has suggestions on how to speed things up I'd appreciate hearing them.

- Jim

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 12:20:07 AM »

What about the size of the ACR cache? Increase it, purging it first just in case it's got twisted.

John
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »

something's amiss.  I run 3.2 on a 13" MacBook Pro, 2.53GHZ, 8GB RAM on 1TB internal drive (not speedy).  My catalog is about half the size of yours.  Recent (past year) images are all 5DII.  I see some hesitation when moving quickly through the library after building one to one previews but nowhere near 10 seconds.  I can typically page through four or five images almost instantly then the next and subsequent will briefly show "Loading"... maybe three or four seconds.  If I pause for a while the next few images will come up quickly again.  I wish I could give you hints for a cure.  I can't but just wanted you to know that what you're seeing is not "normal".

Bob Smith
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 12:47:02 PM »

What about the size of the ACR cache? Increase it, purging it first just in case it's got twisted.

John

50GB. I just purged it--does that sound like a good size?

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 12:00:43 AM »

That's fine and should improve browsing within Develop. Make sure there's plenty of hard drive space on the drive containing the cache.

John
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 09:47:26 PM »

That's fine and should improve browsing within Develop. Make sure there's plenty of hard drive space on the drive containing the cache.

John

I have 178gb free on the drive with the cache--is that enough? I'm still getting sluggish performance. I'm going through a shoot I just did--5DMII files converted to DNG at import. In loupe view, I browse through the images flagging the keepers. The first few go pretty quick, and after 5 or so, I have to wait for the image to load--5 to 10 seconds. I'm planning to make a video screen capture of this, but I don't have a mic handy (to say when I'm hitting the arrow key).

- Jim

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: