Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
EM2 PNG metadata
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 01:07:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  EM2 PNG metadata
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EM2 PNG metadata  (Read 3960 times)
billseymour

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:06:50 AM »

In the spirit of DAM "serial monogamy" (ie, always wanting to know how to get all my catalog data out of a particular app), I am a bit unclear about how EM2 handles metadata associated with PNG files.

I tested EM2 by importing some PNG files that had XML sidecars which held the metadata (since as I understand it, PNG files cannot hold metadata such as keywords, etc).
This worked fine in EM2.

I then imported just a PNG file (no XML), and added keywords in EM2, and saved the catalog. All metadata successfully retained by the catalog.

However, looking at the folder holding my catalog files, I don't see any XML sidecar file for this latest PNG file. I assume that the metadata is stored in the catalog itself. So my question(s), which is (are) of high importance to me:

1. How do I export PNG metadata from EM2, so that I can be sure I can migrate (again) to another DAM if necessary
2. (less critical, I guess) can EM2 make sidecar XML files for each PNG, as other DAM's do?

I am not in love with XML sidecars, but it is sort of reassuring to see that each PNG actually has a file in which I can see, without question, the metadata.

Thanks. --Bill
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 10:25:57 AM »

Following up:

I see Action>ExtractMetadata produces XMP files for the selected images.

- Am I correct that these ExtractMetadata XMP files are not updated by EM2 when one makes changes to the image metadata in the catalog?

- Are the expert folks on this Forum comfortable with this method of handling of XMP "sidecar" files to preserve PNG metadata?
I just want to be as sure as possible that I don't wind up with a bunch of PNG's that I can't properly export if I *again* ever have to leave the iView-EM universe.

Thanks. --Bill
Paul_S

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:43:39 AM »

You are correct and no it does not update the XMP file and you have to keep re-doing the extract meta data to folder and this applies to any Raw format except DNG.

And no it is not very acceptable in a dam program.

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:45:09 PM »

Bill,
Did you try to export to a new sidecar file? I must admit that I use PNG only for the kind of tasks where metadata is not an issue (I think the only time I've used them is for the buttons in RapidFixer).

What are you using PNGs for?
Peter
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 02:16:15 AM »

Peter-
I have many images where the subject has been separated from the background, so that I have a subject against a transparent field. (PNG-24, full transparency format) These images are being used both for website work (so that the image with a transparent background can be laid atop other web page material), and also in Photoshop collage pieces, where (again) I am making use of the transparent background.

I have started cataloging these images into my DAM catalog, since I am likely to want the "transparent BG" version of the original rather than the original image itself. Thus my interest in having these PNG images cataloged with metadata that I can keep associated with the image.

Actually, I am OK with the sidecar idea for such images- it doesn't particularly bother me that there are extra files. I would prefer that the sidecar files be updated and maintained just like any other file (which some other DAM programs do), but I could live with periodically generating sidecars for all my PNG's via EM2's Extract Metadata action. The EM2 method is a "batch action" rather than a continuous, "in the flow of the DAM application" method. The latter would definitely be preferable- when I Sync Annotate, sidecar files ought to be updated, too.
--Bill
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 04:14:30 PM »

Bill,
Okay, I see why one would want to track that. Hopefully, you won't need to do the export dance too many times.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: