Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Video EXIF and THM sidecar files?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 06:56:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Video EXIF and THM sidecar files?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Video EXIF and THM sidecar files?  (Read 5469 times)
raka

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2010, 10:53:12 AM »

i use EM to catalog my Canon P&S video files as well.

problem: EM only sees the date the file was loaded on my Mac - which could be days after the capture date.

however, each video file also have a sidecar/ buddy file (.THM extension) that DOES contain the actual capture date.

Q1: is there any way for EM to use this THM file information to get the correct capture date?

Q2: is there any way EM can embed this info into the actual .AVI file (so i can get rid of the THM files)

Q3: any other THM file tips/ techniques? (i goofed, since i used EM to move some video files around, and of course it wasn't smart enough to move the THMs at the same time)

Q4: does LR3 do a better job of this?

ps: i use the Canon supplied utility to xfer my files from the camera to the Mac, if it matters

thks,
- pieter
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:55:13 PM »

Pieter,
Try selecting a movie and open the Info panel.  Do any of the dates correspond to the date created?
Peter
raka

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 10:53:28 PM »

Pieter,
Try selecting a movie and open the Info panel.  Do any of the dates correspond to the date created?
Peter

no, none of the 3 dates in EM2 (created, modified,archived) has the correct date. they correspond to when the file was copied to my Mac, or cataloged by EM2.

reading the same file with Canon's free "ImageBrowser" utility, displays the correct original capture date and time.

this capture date & time is also contained in the separate THM sidecar file (readable by EXIF extraction apps like EXIF Viewer) BUT the Canon utility can extract the correct date & time from the AVI file even when this sidecar file has been deleted.

- pieter

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 04:52:58 PM »

Does EM see the correct date in the thm file?
(If it sees the thm file).
If it does not see the thm, can you change the extension ot JPG?
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: